support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Boutique ligs for PPT

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Good morning one and all...
The good people at Reeds Direct sent me a couple of ligs to try as promised . A Vandoren " optimum " also a Silverstein " prelude " which I didn't ask for so i thought it may be helpful to let the forum know what fits best and how they play / sound .
It's great playing bari for a couple of hours and switching back to tenor . It feels small : chops are nice and loose and plenty of air support gives a turbo charged vibe . Still need a bari mpc but will possibly get one from Rhys in time so yeah : I'll keep you posted..

20201118_120355.jpg

Well that was short lived : the optimum went nowhere near : no idea why they sent it as they knew the specs...
The Silverstein is nice enough though : I'll give it a blast for an hour or two and make a decision . It occured to me that the combined price of three ligs is half of what I paid for my first Selmer 6...go figure !!

Hi Spike : all good man ?
Yeah I know mate : note to self : shop around !!

The Optimums are not very forgiving size wise, I have two I can no longer use which is a shame because it does all you want, except fit most mouthpieces. If you really want to spend some money there’s Marc Jean who does one to fit, otherwise see above or try a BG L13, I think they sell them.

I think I'm going to settle for this Silverstein mate : nice enough thing .
Just looking in my box at the ammount of money gone on six Rovners of various sizes plus BG plus half a dozen others : not to worry but yeah I'm sorted I reckon..

Not like me but I am totally p***** off big time . Another day wasted trying to find something to hold a reed on : the silverstein slips ; back to the drawing board...

I use an absolute on ppt sop and alto.

@Absolute or @aldevis may be able to comment on fit with tenor mouthpiece.

If you search forum we had an absolute passaround.

Jx

I use an absolute on ppt sop and alto.
Me too
On some Pillinger tenor, though, it required some added cork. Still the best ligature to secure swelling reeds

The GF mentioned by Spike is very easy to handle, when you fiddle with reeds. They come with smaller sizes (i can't remember their numbering system)
Howarth's used to stock them.
I wrote to GF in a couple of occasions but never had a reply

I have ATB PPTs and use Rovner for A&T and a FAXX for baritone, the latter per Pete's initial suggestion. It works okay, although I can easily imagine there are ligs that would require less precise tightening.

Not like me but I am totally p***** off big time . Another day wasted trying to find something to hold a reed on : the silverstein slips ; back to the drawing board...
Send it back. The ligature I recommend is the Rovner Star or the Marc Jean for PPT (MKI) (made to measure).

I'm also testing a SYOS, and that seems good so far. Just a little too pink for me but I may get some stocked in other colours.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions : i have sent it back . With the cash I've ordered a rovner for now plus a Legere American cut ( tenor ) as I just have to try one .
@Pete Thomas : Ello mate : would you be kind enough to order a SYOS lig for me . I figured between the Rov and the SYOS I'll be pretty much sorted so yeah ; all sorted in the end....

I'm a fan of the Optimum ligatures. They come with 3 different pressure plates, are adjustable with just one screw and if you you have to adjust tuning, the reed still stays on the same place on the mouthpiece. And it is on that aspect that a lot of ligatures fail... I've got quite a few here at home: Rovner, Francois Louis,... But my Optimum ligatures get the most use. Don't they exist in different sizes? I thought there was a slim one for metal pieces and a larger one for HR?

I'm a fan of the Optimum ligatures. They come with 3 different pressure plates, are adjustable with just one screw and if you you have to adjust tuning, the reed still stays on the same place on the mouthpiece. And it is on that aspect that a lot of ligatures fail... I've got quite a few here at home: Rovner, Francois Louis,... But my Optimum ligatures get the most use. Don't they exist in different sizes? I thought there was a slim one for metal pieces and a larger one for HR?
Are you saying it works with a PPT?