All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Boutique ligs for PPT

randulo

Living the dream
Subscriber
Just want to ask, is the reed held well in that position or can you move the reed side to side at the tip end.
One of the problems with this type of lig is the lack of adjustment you have with lig placement in other words you have to use it in one position only the place where it bites, but I do agree its a low cost option and will suit some players.
Using these you have to apply just enough pressure to make it stable. The reed doesn't move at all.
But you can adjust the tone/sound a little bit with your lig. I get a "darker, more mellow" tone if I place the reed back on the reed. And "brighter, more brilliance" if I move it forward.
Yes, this is true, but I'm happy with any reed position that produces a good sound to my ear. My playing isn't nuanced enoguh for relatively small changes to matter.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
But you can adjust the tone/sound a little bit with your lig. I get a "darker, more mellow" tone if I place the reed back on the reed. And "brighter, more brilliance" if I move it forward.
Yes, this is true, but I'm happy with any reed position that produces a good sound to my ear. My playing isn't nuanced enoguh for relatively small changes to matter.

It is probably true of mouthpieces with convex facings (whether intentional or due to warpage). I had a discussion with Aaron Drake aboyt this.

But unless done to real extremes, I don't think this applies to PPTs (the topic of this thread). And by real extremes I'm talking about going into realms beyond merely adjusting the tone.

squeak

@Pete Thomas It could be worth asking syos for a custom size: after all they are 3d printed
I thought about this and actually have access to a 3D printer. However, for mass printing, it does require consistent diameters and the PPTs very much have a handmade feel to them (and yay for that). Hence, as appealing as the thought might be, an adjustable ligature might still work better.

sax panther

Subscriber
I need to do some more testing with different thicknesses of reed (waiting to get them back from Ed who is also testing them)

I'm a bit confused by what you say because I find the tenor fits but the alto is too big.
@Pete Thomas - I'm in Southampton and in possession of an unused syos tenor lig, so happy to stick it through your letterbox if you wanted to use it for testing on your PPT.

Disclaimer: it's bright green

Top Bottom