support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM Nov 2018 - Nature Boy

@Nick Wyver I'm glad you did it this way. It sounds beautiful. I chose the tango version because I too didn't like any of the tracks I could find, either. I hit on the tango in iRealPro and thought, this is it. The BOTM/SOTM feature here is one of the many educational perks of the board. Thanks to everyone who share (or don't) and to those who patiently put up with mine.

Thanks @mrpeebee, @U CAN CALL ME AL and @randulo. 3 different saxes, 3 different styles and 2 different time signatures. Nice to have a bit of variation.
For some reason my head didn't want to get on with any of the backings I could find, so here's a solo version (complete with random noodling):.

Really enjoyed that, and wonderful playing! I have really got in to this song and done a bit of research. For me your version is how I imagine eden ahbez intended it to be played. He is the strange enchanted boy, ahbez was part of a back to nature movement whose followers were known as the nature boys. " I look crazy but I'm not," he told life magazine in 1948. "and the funny thing is that other people don't look crazy but they are"
I could rattle on, but id better not.
There is some really interesting reading in an article in the Financial Times written by Mike Hobart August 21st 2015 ( I don't know how to do a link)

Lots of songs have their roots in another time or culture. When the world was smaller few knew the source. Didn't many classical composers dip into folk songs? Didn't Paul Simon do it ? Didn't The Rolling Stones do it? Don't we all? ;)

Really enjoyed that, and wonderful playing! I have really got in to this song and done a bit of research. For me your version is how I imagine eden ahbez intended it to be played. He is the strange enchanted boy, ahbez was part of a back to nature movement whose followers were known as the nature boys. " I look crazy but I'm not," he told life magazine in 1948. "and the funny thing is that other people don't look crazy but they are"
I could rattle on, but id better not.
There is some really interesting reading in an article in the Financial Times written by Mike Hobart August 21st 2015 ( I don't know how to do a link)
Thanks for that. Very interesting - I knew nothing about the chap. Here's your link.

FWIW, I jammed with some friends in Paris yesterday and we played Nature Boy in a Salsa-like style. Works well for that. We'd already player Georgia, so I needed to offer something that wasn't a ballad. I do find this a beautiful ballad and am practicing this and Georgia for long notes, vibrato, expressions, etc.

For some reason my head didn't want to get on with any of the backings I could find, so here's a solo version (complete with random noodling):.

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I've been trying to play this tune with a Selmer Super Session H I didn't know I could play. I had it for as long as I had my soprano as it camw with it, but I was totally unable to produce any sound with it at first. That was a few years ago... But I'm of course nowhere near your prowess.

Thanks.

Here is my attempt. I transposed it into a more comfortable key for tenor.

I too felt the need to change the dots to avoid extreme lows or extreme highs for Bb tenor. The highs simply because I'm currently playing my YTS-23 that doesn't have an high F# key and I'm not yet confortable with altissimo and the lows as I can't reliably hit those low notes.

Back
Top Bottom