BOTM Nov 2018 - Nature Boy

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Hi all. I've been collared to provide this month's ballad. I've chosen Nature Boy - a tune that I've found interesting for a long time but I've never got round to playing. There are many different versions out there but here's just a couple of contrasting ones:

Dots and a couple of different backing tracks (kindly supplied by nigeld) can be found here.

I hope you enjoy having a bash at this. With a bit of luck I'll have a go sometime.

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
Clearly the song is played in 3/4 and 4/4 versions.
Nat King Cole, who popularised it the year after it was written does it in 3/4 so I guess that is the original version.

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
I know this is a bit "outside of the box" but the arrangement of this song by The Singer's Unlimited incorporating Gene Puerling's harmonic "genius" gives a different "feel" and "meaning" to this song that I wanted to share. Enjoy.
]

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
What a great choice, @Nick Wyver! I've heard this tune (very long) in the distant past but I'd never realized that there were so many excellent and but different versions. It's a wonderful tune and I've really enjoyed listening to all the versions.

For me, 'Nat King Cole' was just a vocalist who's name I'd heard of. The video showed me just how good a musician he was (and his trio were)..
Thanks also to @nigeld, @trimmy, @jbtsax and @rhysonsax for their additional posts. I loved each and every one of these interpretations.

Practicing, playing and administering in 2 bands (with 1 more on the side) in combination with other hobbies usually means that - however much I'd like to contribute to BOTM - I usually don't get around to recording. This tune intrigues me so I'll try to make time for it,.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
Hi all. I've been collared to provide this month's ballad. I've chosen Nature Boy - a tune that I've found interesting for a long time but I've never got round to playing. There are many different versions out there but here's just a couple of contrasting ones:

Dots and a couple of different backing tracks (kindly supplied by nigeld) can be found here.

I hope you enjoy having a bash at this. With a bit of luck I'll have a go sometime.
great choice! I have followed the link to print out the sheet music but it says it is unprintable, I presume I am doing something wrong, any ideas please.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Following on in @Colin the Bear 's footsteps, I had a play around with Reaper DAW and a downloaded backing track based on the Ella, Joe Pass version. The download had quite a long guitar intro, so I've spliced it up, put a bit of a guitar solo in the middles, doubled up the verses and interlaced some singing with a bit of Sax stuff It was only after I recorded the vocal bits that I discovered that it was in a different key to the song sheets! Had to have a rethink and relearn! Great bit of transcribing practice. Great fun!

https://soundcloud.com/user-380338591%2Fnature-boy View: https://soundcloud.com/user-380338591/nature-boy

Top Bottom