M/Pieces - Ligs Anyone tried 3D printed custom mouthpieces?

sax panther

Subscriber
Impressions on playability ?
Only had a short go on it so far, but it's really easy to play, very free blowing, quickly tried about 4 different reeds on there and it liked them all...pretty easy altissimo. I went for 10/10 brightness, 10/10 volume, small chamber, step baffle...in fluorescent lime. Not my most understated bit of kit! Sounds very loud and punchy, but playing it in my spare room isn't a great measure of volume/projection - most saxophone stuff sounds loud in there. I need to get to know it a bit more but first impressions are good. I'll try to get a recording up sometime next week, and I'll try it out properly at an outdoor wedding gig I've got next Saturday.

I didn't really like the ligature that came with it - seemed to come loose pretty easily, so I swapped it for a rovner style one that I had on a saxscape piece. I quite like the contrast, it looks like a big chocolate lime sweet.

sax panther

Subscriber
I have a matching shirt size L if needed ;)
Thanks but no need - I think the aesthetic of our band is already a perfect match for a luminous green mouthpiece! (I'm the short guy on the right) The alto player (left) also has a SYOS mouthpiece (partly what prompted my purchase, with the 50% off pushing me over the edge), but unfortunately he played it safe and went for a dark blue one...

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
I like the ligature, it can come loose if you're not used to it, but it's never come loose accidentally for me.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I bought a Baritone Giovanni Chirico mouthpiece with a 7 tip opening in the sale.
Here are my first impressions:

It is a good mouthpiece, though a bit bright for my taste.
It would be a good big-band piece. The low end is excellent.
However, I have a couple of mouthpieces that would cost less second hand and which I prefer, and it certainly isn't going to beat my Lawton as my big band piece.

The ligature is very good - it sounded better to my ears than a Rovner light.

One odd thing is that the mouthpiece shank is very long - I have to push the mouthpiece on beyond the end of the cork to get it in tune.

I did a recording where I compare it with three other mouthpieces.
The mouthpieces, in order are:

SYOS Giovanni Chirico 7
Berg-Larsen HR Marbled 110/2 SMS
Otto Link Tone Edge HR 5*
Selmer S80 C*

https://soundcloud.com/user-935648777%2Fsyos-comparison

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
The ligature is very good - it sounded better to my ears than a Rovner light.
Good enough to change your strap line?

Thanks for the samples. I ordered a bari piece too but not that one...

davidk

Paints With Notes
Is that orange or pink? Mine is pink.
I think SYOS call this Coral Neon. Not quite orange, not quite red. Somewhere in between. I don't have any trouble lining up the reed :)

First impressions: The table is long enough to allow the entire length of the reed to fit along it. The ligature holds it firmly, and the cap is like the Silverstein Omnicap. The material feels rough like the outside of a Rico Metalite. There are some ridges inside the large chamber and no smooth surfaces.

I'll review the sound once I can get to a studio, probably next weekend. It's the James Arben model in an 8*, and looks like a high rollover baffle. I'm looking forward to playing it.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
I'm still waiting for mine. :oops:

I seriously hope they will show before my wife goes away for a few days so I can really enjoy them thoroughly while she's gone... :w00t:

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
I think SYOS call this Coral Neon.
I had to go look at the order, mine is deep magenta. I agree I like the ligature. In fact I ordered two others in bright colors to use with black mouthpieces, thew work great.

We're all anxious to hear about what you think of the sound and playability.

Top Bottom