supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

M/Pieces - Ligs Anyone tried 3D printed custom mouthpieces?

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Received mine. Not spend much time yet trying... But so far so good and the week-end should allow further experiment!

So I have a bit more colorful fruits on the tree!

davidk

Paints With Notes
I think SYOS call this Coral Neon. Not quite orange, not quite red. Somewhere in between. I don't have any trouble lining up the reed :)

First impressions: The table is long enough to allow the entire length of the reed to fit along it. The ligature holds it firmly, and the cap is like the Silverstein Omnicap. The material feels rough like the outside of a Rico Metalite. There are some ridges inside the large chamber and no smooth surfaces.

I'll review the sound once I can get to a studio, probably next weekend. It's the James Arben model in an 8*, and looks like a high rollover baffle. I'm looking forward to playing it.
I had to go look at the order, mine is deep magenta. I agree I like the ligature. In fact I ordered two others in bright colors to use with black mouthpieces, thew work great.

We're all anxious to hear about what you think of the sound and playability.
OK, I spent a good two hours practising today. The new mouthpiece fitted onto my saxophone neck without any sanding of the cork or PTFE tape required, so I'd say the bore diameter is pretty standard. When moving it on the cork the ligature would turn, so I'll probably be using a different ligature with this. A Rovner Star Series for hard rubber tenor mouthpieces fitted nicely. I went through my sampler pack of D'Addario and Vandoren reeds and settled on a Vandoren Java Green number 3. The tips of all of the reeds matched the curve on the tip of the mouthpiece.

I warmed up with by playing overtones of the low B flat and have no complaints there. By pushing the mouthpiece further onto the cork and lipping down I was able to get the low, middle and top B in tune without embouchure adjustments, so I am happy with the tuning too.

With the SYOS mouthpiece I was looking for more brightness than the Jody Jazz DVNY that I normally play. I was after something lively but with the ability to sub-tone and ease back when required. The SYOS delivered this. Thinking of the sound in terms of bass, middle and treble, I initially thought that it had a bit more "middle" than I'd normally go for, but I was soon able to to give it my own voice.

I loaded iReal Pro with Stanley Turrentine's "Sugar" and played an extended solo, using the full range of the saxophone including into the altissimo. This mouthpiece effortlessly delivered what I asked of it, and I forgot it was brand new. I tried the same thing with the DVNY and found it much more mellow. The SYOS James Arben is giving me a sound much closer to what I'm looking for. I find it easier to darken a bright mouthpiece than to brighten a dark one, so I think the SYOS will be my main mouthpiece now. Especially with the day-glow colour it would suit a function band well.

sax panther

Subscriber
I finally got round to recording a little snippet as promised - haven't played tenor for a couple of weeks, bit rusty but I forgot how fun this mouthpiece is. This is just noodling around, tried to do some loud bits and quiet bits. I went for the Scott Paddock model, it's loud and bright but as I get more comfortable on it, it gets easier to play more quietly - once I get more used to it, I might attempt to do the ballad of the month on it as a personal challenge!. https://soundcloud.com/user-934945909%2Fsyos-noodling

OP
randulo

randulo

18 months of alto
Subscriber
Practice session sounds great!
I loaded iReal Pro with Stanley Turrentine's "Sugar" and played an extended solo
There's a free backing track for Sugar on YouTube (a few, in fact) that sounds better than iRealPro's (IMO):
youtube.com/watch?v=E6CoBcuYkU0

Top Bottom