SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Anyone tried 3D printed custom mouthpieces?

altissimo

@altissimo do you play one of their MPC on your alto? Are you happy with it?
Not yet - I've been following the progress of SYOS for several years now and I'm quite intrigued by their products - it's good to see them doing well. But I've not yet got enough money for a custom mouthpiece - plus I'm thinking long and hard about what the ultimate mouthpiece would be like.. I'm fairly happy with my 8* ebonite Lawton BB so something similar to that
I could probably get Morgan Fry to modify a Berg Larsen for less than SYOS charge for a custom piece, so there's always that option.

As one of my friends put it, the mouthpiece obsession is all about getting that extra 5% that you can't get out of your existing mpc.

Janosax

@altissimo I know what you mean, it’s very hard for me too to make decisions on sax gear, I feel that trying and changing too much often leads to being lost. That Lebayle is the best MPC I’ve ever played, with rich and large core sound, dark enough for taming my natural little lips bright sound, perfect balance between modern and vintage sound color/shape, which is what I hear in my mind. Even altissimo sounds good, but that long facing curve with lips fatigue and Legere behavior make altissimo very hazardous after 30 mn playing. Long story short, I played 3.5 RJS/ZZ reeds on that 8* MPC before my very long 8 years saxophone break, and since 3 years I came back to sax playing I use 2/2.25 Plasticover/Legere reeds. Easier to shape my tone, easier for my slightly damaged ears too as it’s less loud. But of course that can leads to issues with altissimo. Plasticover 2 is less prone to issues, but I love Legere sound with 2/2.25, need to try 2.5 but the risk is to lose some of my sound. So 5% quest starts for me too :)

@aldevis I live in Essonne, 30 km from Paris. For sure MPC’s are really the sax gear which absolutely need to try before buy. When Jody Jazz DV reached the market a long time ago, I wanted it. But when I played it, didn’t liked it. I bought the Lebayle LRII instead, never planned anything about that brand but fell in love immediately with it when I tried it in the shop.

Last edited:

Janosax

There is also very little margin for refacing IMO because of how it’s shaped inside next to the rails:

7BE89EA4-6753-4AEE-8851-7B820416E6E5.png

And here is the long facing curve:

D9600AE8-B1BA-4F21-B3B0-2D4507B8CFCA.png

@aldevis Phil Tone is located 690 km from my home :eek:

Last edited:

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
While this is real (vegan cheese)

IMG_20190815_111206787_HDR.jpg
That sounds like false witchery in french! :w00t:

@aldevis Phil Tone is located 690 km from my home :eek:
And that's not counting how deep he is, up the Pyrenees...

Having said that, he is very accessible remotely. That's his challenge... Until he finds THE perfect spot in our beautiful and so diversified country.

NB: I guess finding where to anchor in France is as difficult as understanding our wines... So many Châteaux in the Bordeaux area it's impossible to remember them all.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
That sounds like false witchery in french! :w00t:
Magerie!
They didn't even get the name right!

And that's not counting how deep he is, up the Pyrenees...

Having said that, he is very accessible remotely. That's his challenge... Until he finds THE perfect spot in our beautiful and so diversified country.

NB: I guess finding where to anchor in France is as difficult as understanding our wines... So many Châteaux in the Bordeaux area it's impossible to remember them all.
That's the American sense of distance
What in America is considered "nearby" in continental Europe would span several countries

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
All this is talk. Talk, isn't just cheap. It's free. Is this stuff any good? I think this is subjective. You like your mouthpiece, stay with it. As for them being sax players, the woman Pauline does play saxophone, but their main point is that they are acoustic engineers. Does that matter? I don't know. My point in posting is that you can't know anything without experiencing it. I was told today, by Eric Marienthal, "don't let your mouthpiece limit you in what you can play." He quoted some famous players about this topic. If you're playing at that level -- at 19 months I am definitely NOT -- then keep searching. He also said, when he teaches someone, he plays their mouthpiece to make sure it can do what they need/want to do.
This stuff can not be determined by forum posts or over the phone. I own 5 mouthpieces. None play how I'd like to play :) I happen to feel comfortable with the Syos, but I tried the Yam 4c today and it didn't do better. It's me in the driver's seat, I'm the one blowing in that thing. Anyone in range of Syos or a dealer that has their mpc, go try them. See if it does anything for you. My Vandoren and PPT are still being powered by me. All things equal, I play the Syos every day.

Janosax

@randulo I didn’t want to bash Syos mouthpieces, at all. I was just asking initially players about brightness I’ve perceived in all recordings I’ve listened too. To me, this is an indication, not pure truth, but I tend to trust my ears on recordings, even compressed ones. If everybody answered « yes they sound bright », it would have been a useful information for me. As it’s not the case, I will eventually need to spend time and money trying those 3D printed MPC’s. Like almost every player knowing their existence, I’m very curious and intrigued to play test them, as they could be interesting for me and my sound quest. I suppose that like most multi decades player, I can be a bit old school regarding gear (habituation, took me a while to try synthetic reeds), and as an educated web surfer I’m always a bit suspicious about marketing. Nothing bad about that IMO, and a little bit of talking freedom never hurts. The market is so huge, so opinions and reviews are always interesting and good to get, even if of course they will NEVER replace a personal play test (read what I’ve wrote about DV mpc a few posts above). All in all, music is movement, and gear (which must help us artistically to develop our own sax voice) is often also about questions, decisions and passion :)

OP
randulo

randulo

Subscriber
I agree, I just want to underline that this is a really personal thing.

altissimo

apparently they have "more than 1000 different mouthpieces" available to try in their studio in Paris, so I'd guess they cover the entire spectrum from dark to bright.

OP
randulo

randulo

Subscriber
I'm only two hours away and I still have yet to get there, but it's on my bucket list :)

saxyjt

Subscriber
apparently they have "more than 1000 different mouthpieces" available to try in their studio in Paris, so I'd guess they cover the entire spectrum from dark to bright.
My guess is that bright and load is trendier than dark and mellow. :confused2:

altissimo

My guess is that bright and load is trendier than dark and mellow. :confused2:
looking at the characteristics of the signature models on their website, a lot of them are bright and powerful and some of them have been sent out for reviews. I don't know it that's trendy or not, but if you were looking for a vintage Link or Meyer type of mouthpiece then there are dozens of people making stuff in that area, so maybe SYOS tend to attract the kind of people who're looking for something different to the off the shelf solutions.
Some of the bright and powerful mouthpieces I'd like to try are difficult to get hold of in this country and quite expensive, so Syos offer an interesting alternative, but for the moment I'm quite enjoying a stainless steel Berg Larsen

saxyjt

Subscriber
The new Beaugnier logo is already there but the company not yet visible on the net unless I missed something. The articles are sketchy, so it's hard to tell what is the concept. Hand fished, yeah!

Well they currently use a 3D printer that may not be optimal so hand finishing is just inevitable.

Will they be worthy of the Beaugnier lignage? For now it's just a name... Let's see.

Royston

The new Beaugnier logo is already there but the company not yet visible on the net unless I missed something. The articles are sketchy, so it's hard to tell what is the concept. Hand fished, yeah!

Well they currently use a 3D printer that may not be optimal so hand finishing is just inevitable.

Will they be worthy of the Beaugnier lignage? For now it's just a name... Let's see.
Everyone is copying SYOS now as the idea seems to have taken off. I have a custom piece which is amazing.

View: https://www.facebook.com/1499178686970736/posts/2345328045689125?sfns=mo

Phil

Commercial Café Supporter
Everyone will copy because its not expensive once you have the tech. More importantly the cost is not that far from what you pay for a piece that can be tailored by hand from someone who plays it and adjusts it bit by bit to your needs. I admit Im biased but its also true.

Royston

Everyone will copy because its not expensive once you have the tech. More importantly the cost is not that far from what you pay for a piece that can be tailored by hand from someone who plays it and adjusts it bit by bit to your needs. I admit Im biased but its also true.
From a totally unbiased position I have tried a number of mouthpieces including hand finished ones and still find the custom SYOS mpc plays better (for me anyway) Thant any other I’ve tried.

Top Bottom