support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Any advice for reed break-in and storage

Thanks for the responses everyone. I feel that the most important thing to remember is that I am still a beginner, and will only find my sweet spot through experimentation. I do recall that when I used to play a different, much older saxophone, I used to play the same reed until I felt I should change it. I did this and I didn't encounter any serious difficulties. After acquiring a brand new (albeit inexpensive) saxophone, I began to use the mouthpiece supplied with it, which was when issues started to arise. I was forever fussing with different break methods, storage and adjustment, that I was really digging myself into a hole. I should have known at this time that mouthpieces supplied with many Chinese saxophones are as good as scrap and should be thrown away the moment they are acquired. Although I still play this saxophone I have upgraded the mouthpiece, and the older, better saxophone is being refurbished and touched up at this moment in time. I expect to move back to that instrument in the near future.
I have been quizzing my bandmaster (who, admittedly, is a clarinet player primarily, but most characteristics should common, right?) about what he does with his reeds. He says he just wets them and plays them and stores them in his case when he is finished. Also, going by what is said in the A Tune a Day for Saxophone book, wiping them after use, replacing them on the mouthpiece and putting on the cap should suffice for normal everyday playing. So I will do that, and I will report back here periodically with any progress. In the meantime, kudos to you all for the tips and advice. :thanks3:

Last edited:
replacing them on the mouthpiece and putting on the cap should suffice for normal everyday playing.

I wouldn't do that. Often results in warped tips. The end of the reed not being supported as it dries. Get a proper reed case.

I have two that hold 8 reeds each... But I have too much of everything. Not! :oops:

and in the last 20 years or so I've been using only "waterlogged" reeds.

Me too.
Nowadays i prefer reeds that are saturated.
I usually leave new reeds overnight in water before attempting to play them.

Regarding warped reeds. Soaking them helps. Then put the warped end on the table (flat bit) of the mouthpiece, but at right angles to how it normally sits., Then press down firmly with thumb and pull it out. Repeat until flat.

Be careful not to bend the reed downwards . Keep it straight.
Works for me, if a reed drys out.

Try the saturated reed thing. Doesn’t work for everyone, but it will work for some.

When I used to use reeds made of reed, some of the used to warp, some didn't. Seemed to be random.

I have a reed holder which I even keep my plastic reeds in now just so that I know where they are. They don't warp like (some) reed ones do, just need a few coz they're quite inconsistent in hardness.