All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Beginner Sax Advice for a new starter - Second hand instrument

robbo100

I think the pad is sitting proud on the pivot side of the mechanism, and is stopping the pad sitting flat. The Bb key shuts fine from what I can see.

brianr

I think the pad is sitting proud on the pivot side of the mechanism, and is stopping the pad sitting flat. The Bb key shuts fine from what I can see.
With much respect to you.

My strong suggestion is that you take this sax to someone who can assess its playability BEFORE you go any further.

There is nothing more off putting for an early stage sax player than a sax that doesn’t work properly. They end up thinking “ sax just isn’t for me”, when all along it’s the sax not working properly .

In addition, is there a name on the mouthpiece?
If there isn’t, chances are it is a cheap/junk mouthpiece, which will also hinder progress.

Stephen Howard

OK, that's a bit unusual. If the bell's been knocked out of whack it's usually both the B and Bb pads that hit the rear of the toneholes first, in varying degrees.

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
I have no problem playing it for a day or so. Minor enjoyment. It was mentioned this has possibly been sitting 20 years. It’s a little past due for a proper cleaning and oiling at minimum. Are you going to disassemble it and do such ?

squeak

Actually, he has just corrected me - he is really into John Coltrane, who plays the Tenor, so that is why he is keen to go for that type of instrument.
Welcome!

Seems to me that your son may have a bit of an attitude with going about "correcting" his dad. Tell your son that Coltrane switched to tenor because he struggled on alto as can be heard here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mMS2jZTO0k

eb424

Jupiter 500 series here: London

Bought new for his son, lasted 4 lessons then put away 2 years ago.
Best price £260 and you arrange courier (approx £25 via Interparcel.com and Parcelforce).

Negatives? Student model; seller isn't a sax player; packaging help may be needed, i.e. how to safely pack; check condition, how does he know?; may need a service or set-up.

Pay ONLY by PayPal for goods, not friends and family. Risky buying blind.
cambidge to londons not that far to drive.....

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom