Saxophones Alto sax buying advice (new starter)

Gabriel

Hello guys. I have fall in love with the alto sax a while ago and i've been telling to my self in the past 4 years that someday I will start on it, as the passion went deeper and deeper I think that the day has come. My birthday is one month away and my family has offered to buy me one as a present but obviously I don't want to be a rip off. I have found one on ebay for 200£ but it turned out to be a tenor and I have been advised not to buy it. The down side is that i don't have anyone to test the new sax to see in which condition is if I am buyng a used one ore a cheap new one (with the new cheap saxophones i've been told that i might be luky or not but as I was saying there is no one to test is for me). i might be able to stretch the price around 400-500. Just advice me towards something good. Thank you !

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Look on this forum's Yard Sale..................and in addition......wait for the advice to flood in from members....

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Welcome to the cafe

This is in the yard sale but not sure if you are close enough to go and look at it yourself
For Sale - Hanson SA5 Alto Saxophone

You might pick up a decent yamaha on ebay but you should budget for it possibly needing a look at by a tech. Have you got a tutor lined up who may be able to help you?

Jx

Gabriel

no I don't have a tutor, I am not going to have a lot of time to go at a specific time at lesons so i decide to learn it on my own as now a days the internet is full of this kind of stuff. :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
no I don't have a tutor, I am not going to have a lot of time to go at a specific time at lesons so i decide to learn it on my own as now a days the internet is full of this kind of stuff. :)
Indeed it is but can be hard as a beginner to know what is good and what is bad. Mind you same can be said of tutors.

Jx

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Would make a big difference if you do make time for some lessons.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Look on this site for Pete Thomas' DVD.........Taming the Saxophone................it is excellent

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
The saxophone is a bewildering mechanism to the uninitiated. Interconnected mechanisms with leaf springs and lever springs all regulated with bits of cork and leather and screws. A little rough handling and it goes out of regulation, starts to leak and won't play. Add to this the bewildering array of reeds available in varying strengths and different cuts to mention nothing of the different lay mouthpieces with varying chamber sizes and baffles and it may take years to become merely awful.

Save yourself a lot of time and heartache and consult a reputable tutor.

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Locality
Greenfield, Nova Scotia, Canada
Welcome, There is lots of good advice here, indeed there is a gold mine of information in the postings. I am also a new learner and although I have had a lot of help here I have also found it very valuable having a tutor and I would encourage you to find one. As @Colin the Bear says the sax is mechanically complicated and is a capricious instrument to play and a tutor can help with all sorts of problems.
As for buying a sax there is some advice on Taming the Saxophone, and since no one has mentioned it so far have a look at the Jericho form Student Musical Supplies. I believe if you buy this though Taming the Sax then some money goes to charity. There are reviews of it somewhere in the Cafe.http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophones-4-sale

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I believe if you buy this though Taming the Sax then some money goes to charity.

Thanks for that but we are not sure at the moment if that is still happening so the link on TTS has been removed :)

Jx

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Welcome!
Buy a modern serviced one saxophone. The Hanson here seems excellent and it's from a frequent member.
I would buy it with eyes closed.

Unless you can find a good serviced Yamaha alto ( preferably yas-23/25 Made in Japan).
These are THE student saxophones. :)

c9off

Locality
London SE/Kent & Rickinghall
Welcome Gabriel

I would be happy to guarantee/underwrite Il Padrino's Hanson - you can totally trust him - question might be who will underwrite me?......

good luck.

ps: Ebay buyer beware!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
@Gabriel I pointed you to the Hanson because I bought my sax from @Il Padrino and he was a great guy to deal with. I am sure he is confident that his friend's sax is ok. :)

As for @c9off you only have too look at this photo who wouldn't trust him ;)

Cafe Sax London Workshop 2 May 2015 -Pic  11.JPG

Jx

Last edited by a moderator:

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
@Gabriel ...... you would even have money left for lessons if you buy the Hanson! I hope you feel under pressure (in a good way) to listen to the collective advice! Good luck whatever you end up doing!!! Enjoy learning the sax!

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Do yourself a great favour too! Get a copy kf the book 'the art of saxophone playing' . As i ve said in the past this book should have been included in every sax purchase. Its an invaluable source of best practices and information. A great conpanion until you blow your first confident notes :)

Il Padrino

Locality
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
@c9off and @Jeanette ... thanks for the recommendation and kind words! Gabriel has been in touch, he is going to wait for a same model Hanson come to Ebay fruition in a few days time, hence he could get the same sax cheaper. Whilst I can't vouch for the condition of said sax on Ebay, if it is in similar condition, he could save himself some money.....Depending on what price it reaches. Can't blame him for doing so!

SaxDon

Café Supporter
Locality
Portsmouth, Hants
Dawkes music have got a couple of used Yamaha 275s in stock for £550. Top sax that will be in top condition before it is sent out. You can't go wrong if you can stretch. Peace of mind as a dodgy sax to start with is horrible

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Just looked and i can see why he's hanging fire, it's the complete kit ! As with ebay it's always a gamble but if it comes off....

Gabriel

Yes that is true trimmy, but I hope that everything is gonna be fine, I'll wait for the end of auction and i hope i'm going to get lucky. Thank you every one for recommendations and for the kind world you've been very helpful ! i really apreciate this and i will definetly stay on the forum and keep in touch with progress and probably some day the help ofered now will be returned :)

Featured

Top Bottom