support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wine

There is nothing like a Sauternes with dessert, especially Christmas pudding. Rich and honeyed. The trouble is finding them and affording them. Even half bottles of Ch. Suduiraut cost around £15.

There is nothing like a Sauternes with dessert, especially Christmas pudding. Rich and honeyed. The trouble is finding them and affording them. Even half bottles of Ch. Suduiraut cost around £15.

Sauternes, my old ma's favourite tipple.

Dessert wines (double S) tend to be expensive
"Noble rot" is a whole world

Last edited:
Botrytis! That's a word that comes out of the mist of our wine tasting expedition. Manky, mouldy grapes make great desert wines.
You see I wasn't that inebriated.

Here is what we bought. We could have upgraded to business class if we hadn't bought these.

Sauternes, my old ma's favourite tipple.
Good on her Andy!
Reminds me that in the 1950s (when I was very young) wine was scarce and most people in the UK, my parents included, didn't know much about wine, my dad used to get a bottle of Spanish Sauternes at Christmas. It was pretty awful.

That's the stuff @Young Col. Mum took a shine to it in the '60's when it was awful. My Dad was appalled at how much he had to pay later in his life when the good stuff came into the country.

Been meaning to post this for a week! A good friend recently gave me this bottle. It was very nice. Quite a dry finish but went well with a chilli :)

The Amarone was tonight's celebratory bottle.

Jx

15655571252783217066987741373413.jpg

A very nice Californian cabernet

15655572183644225189707496981146.jpg

First tried it in our new local then found a bottle in Waitrose.

Jx

On a scale of A to E for fullness of body this was a D.

15663293492721478354027658695798.jpg

A Sainsbury taste the difference wine. Worth a try

Jx

A friend bought us a bottle of this as a housewarming present.
15697812979223827505676190900797.jpg

15697813410131206621834077525596.jpg

It went down very well with a Sunday roast :)

Spotted it in Asda, not a cheap buy but currently on offer..

Jx

I didn't read all the thread (yet), there is apparently a lot of good things to read and learn over here ! :)

For people who really like Sauternes (but do not always have the budget for it), I may suggest trying a Loupiac or Cadillac (if you manage to find some). E.g. for dessert (try it on cheese too, especially blue cheese). Loupiac and Cadillac are 2 small villages in the area of Bordeaux (I studied there for 4 years, and learned a lot about wine) where they produce white wine of the category 'moelleux''. Really nice places to visit too, almost at any time of the year, the producers almost always welcome people wanting to try their products, even without an appointment. If you get there in the proper period (like before Christmas), they have open days where they even couple their presentations with local products (foie gras, etc)...
Anyway, the 'moelleux' are less 'heavy' on the sugars than the 'liquoreux' (Sauternes being an example of 'liquoreux') yet still very smooth, and the ones from Loupiac and Cadillac are usually much less expensive than any Sauternes. Yet still very well made...

For people still wanting the 'liquoreux' style, there are other 'chateaux' you may want to try (still expensive though). The 'cuvee des Lions' from Chateau La Louviere comes to mind... (and brings quite a lot of nice memories, mmmh I need to check if I still have some !)

Cheers !

Just a quick post re Wine.. Well sort of! I am off to a gig tonight and this morning the neck cork on the tenor disintegrated.. I dont have access to a local music shop so what to do.? Ha! It occurred to me that last night I had a very nice Merlot. (Rockstone Ridge actually, Californian). and the cork was still in the bin.. I fished it out and popped it in the pillar drill. After a bit of work I had a perfect cork which I am just about to sand down.. Not a lot of people know that!! BTW. As an aside the wine was great!! I was amused by it's audacity... Cheers!!

Back
Top Bottom