Tutorials

Wine

Young Col

With Christmas food on the horizon we thought we would settle for a straightforward Sunday roast beef this evening, albeit with a nice selection of vegetables including Dutch brown carrots . But what to drink with it though? The wine rack is full for next week but we didn't want to dip into the good stuff. We've gone for a reliable favourite that's not too heavy. Esprit de Puisseguin St Emillion, known affectionately in our house as Spirit of Penguin.
DSC00459.JPG

Stephen Howard

I'm very much looking forward to opening this. It was given to me by a client by way of thanks for a repair job. He's a bit of a wine buff, and I'm assured that this particular bottle is 'very interesting'.
In the meantime I'm knocking back the home-made sloe gin...which is excellent this year (I found a Bullace tree).

wine.jpg

Young Col

That will be interesting Stephen. My wine atlas lists Gaston Hochar as the leading winemaker of the Lebanon's Bekaa Valley. The vineyard is mostly Cabernet sauvignon. The wine has its detractors but is reckoned to be something in taste between Bordeaux and Rhone (which apparently pleases Hochar as he trained in Bordeaux). That he can produce wine of any quality in such a politically difficult area is remarkable in itself!

Stephen Howard

That will be interesting Stephen. My wine atlas lists Gaston Hochar as the leading winemaker of the Lebanon's Bekaa Valley. The vineyard is mostly Cabernet sauvignon. The wine has its detractors but is reckoned to be something in taste between Bordeaux and Rhone (which apparently pleases Hochar as he trained in Bordeaux). That he can produce wine of any quality in such a politically difficult area is remarkable in itself!
Indeed. I was informed by the client that this is a 'bucket list' wine.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Chateau Musar certainly used to be very good in the days when I had a tame wine merchant in Liverpool (sadly that's more than 20 years ago now). The Lebanese vines never got phylloxera so they're authentic old style French vines.

Top Bottom