support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What really gets on your nerves!!

I'll echo all of that, but in particular Targa's one on the use of English. In addition, don't TV reporters get taught these days that the offspring of humans are children, not kids?

And in a completely non-political way, I was amused by one of the UKs major political parties' resurrection of its slogan A Future Fair For All. On a strict interpretation it seems we are all being offered either a trip to an amusement park at some indeterminate time, or an exhibition about a time to come. Or perhaps I'm just off message here. :D
YC

... in a completely non-political way, I was amused by one of the UKs major political parties' resurrection of its slogan A Future Fair For All. On a strict interpretation it seems we are all being offered either a trip to an amusement park at some indeterminate time, or an exhibition about a time to come. Or perhaps I'm just off message here. :D
YC
Colin,
I do realise that you did not attend any of the three Dulwich schools, although I made sure strings were pulled on your behalf for JAGS, are you not aware of the hiring fair?

League Against Half-Arsed Non-Entities. I like it! For our first act of defiance in the face of mind numbing celebrity culture, we could strike a blow while reminding these heathens of their national identity in one fell swoop. We could write an angry letter.

I'd suggest we include a bag of flour and a video recorder outside their offices to capture the magic, however I'm not sure terrorism laws have clauses declaring anyone who believes Peter Andre's tan and weekly heartache is real as 'fair game' - yet.

I feel we ought to atleast introduce ourselves before we invite them to the barn party.

Laziness in the use of English.
For example:
People who 'should know better' such as TV news (autoboard) readers using phrases such as 'for free', 'park up', 'big ask' or 'watch on'.
The continual use of nouns distorted into verbs .
The universal use of 'gobsmacked' instead of one of the dozens of descriptive words which could apply.

'For free' is definitely my greatest bugbear but it is very closely followed by '10 items or less'!! People wouldn't buy 'fewer petrol' so why is it ok to purchase 'less items'?!

To the above can be added:

'could of'
'somethink'
'ain't done nothink'

and finally:

"I can't work more than 16 hours or I'll lose my benefits". My wife completely loses it when she hears someone say that (and I say 'completely loses' for effect knowing that the term 'completely' is redundant).

RP reigns (well, it once did).

Martin

PS I just thought of another:

People can rule things out since it is descriptive of putting a straight line through a written word but how can those same people (often politicians) 'rule things in'? Arrgh!!

Way too much to list here, I'd be at all day. >:)

Here's a few some of which have been mentioned before:

Words spelt in the american manner! - I work for an English company with a small US office. We had to change all our wording as they (in the US) just think we can't spell words like labour, colour, rationalise etc etc

People who invade my space or just walk in front of me making me stop or change direction especially when I am in London or on the tube!

Incorrect and lazy use of English be it verbalisation of nouns, incorrect use of words, especially on the BBC

Celts (and others) who think they are extra special because they are x or y nationality and who spout on endlessly about the homeland whilst living and working over here whereas if I express any nationalistic tendencies (about being English English) I am accused of being a racist

Anyone who use the term like in the context of "Well she was like, hello and I was like, no way"

Anyone who's voice raises at the end of a sentence

The use of the word random to describe something that quite clearly isn't! As in "I can't believe you said that, you're so random" when I merely said to my daughter, " no we don't watch that here - in reference to Big Brother)"

Drivers (women :w00t:) who stop at roundabouts for no reason whatsoever

Text speak

I'd best end here but I have a few more I could list!!

People who tailgate me through the car park barrier at work, just because they can't be a**ed to wind down their windows and use their own keys. I make a habit now of stopping when I'm just through the barrier, in the hope it'll drop onto their cars. Yes folks, I'm that mean.

Back
Top Bottom