Tutorials

What really gets on your nerves!!

littleplum

1. Books that have backing cd's with them, that don't put the track numbers on the tune page. Rather they have them either at the front of the book or the back!! I know I could write them in, but some books manage to use logic, why not all of them?

2. We have all been taught that once you reach the end of the bar, any accidentals in that bar (unless tied over) are reverted back to the key signature. why, then is there a growing trend towards dumbing down and printing reminders, some times 2 or 3 bars later!!!

I feel better for getting those off my chest!!

RedBottom

We have all been taught that once you reach the end of the bar, any accidentals in that bar (unless tied over) are reverted back to the key signature. why, then is there a growing trend towards dumbing down and printing reminders, some times 2 or 3 bars later!!!
I hate that too - like you know if it's an F it's supposed to be sharp unless they place a natural in front of it. So I get into a right two-and-eight when they plonk a sharp on it two bars along, because I think I've been playing it wrong until that point. :shocked:

In terms of my own gripes, it's not so much with printed music as rehearsal manners. Like when people decide to have a quick practice of their twiddly bits whenever the director stops to work with a particular section or individual.

And then there are those who just will not keep their music in any kind of order, so we all have to wait for ten minutes whilst they find the next piece. :mad:

Semiquaver

In terms of my own gripes, it's not so much with printed music as rehearsal manners. Like when people decide to have a quick practice of their twiddly bits whenever the director stops to work with a particular section or individual.

And then there are those who just will not keep their music in any kind of order, so we all have to wait for ten minutes whilst they find the next piece. :mad:
Ah! but surey the worst sort are those that don't tune before a rehearsal. It is so easy these days with electronic tuners, you can even get one for a mobile phone. But the amount of people who just don't bother is amazing.

As a conductor I knew used to say...if one person is a semitone sharp and another is a semitone flat...that's a whole tone difference!!!!!!

RedBottom

Ah! but surey the worst sort are those that don't tune before a rehearsal. It is so easy these days with electronic tuners
Thing is, everyone's tuner seems to be different and too many people appear to be red/green colour blind.

I had to smile, though, when the big head beside me once insisted my sax was flat (it tends to be sharp more than anything) when he was very clearly the one out of tune. With all of his couple of years' band experience to my ten, he proceeded to explain to me how to tune my sax. Then the MD stepped in and declared the alto section all in tune except for one player. And who was that player? I don't need to tell you, do I? All I'll say is, t'was not I. ;}

OP
L

littleplum

I agree playing whilst the conductor is talking is so rude and annoying. The next thing on my list is guitarists who don't know how to play dynamics in a big band! even when you ask them too.

Glad I am not the only one who gets frustrated.

Dave

AdamBradley

Pads that make little sticking noises everytime you open them, and don't stop no matter how many times you clean with lighter fluid on fag papers :(

OP
L

littleplum

Hi Nachoman

My wife would agree with you but it doesnt have to be played badly, just played. If some comes for a lesson and wants to play it, she will turn the radio up until its finished!!

Dave

RedBottom

My wife would agree with you but it doesnt have to be played badly, just played.
I'll go further than that ... just people who, when they find out that I play sax, tell me it's their favourite tune and can I play it?

I say yes, I can - I just choose not to. It has to be the sax player's equivalent of Smoke on the Water. :)

Semiquaver

and in a non musical vein...women who put their makeup on in the train!!!

I am tempted to delay some of my bathroom procedures for the underground journey.

See if they like that!!!!!!!!

AdamBradley

Semiquaver said:
and in a non musical vein...women who put their makeup on in the train!!!

I am tempted to delay some of my bathroom procedures for the underground journey.

See if they like that!!!!!!!!
A drowning Louis Armstrong impression with gargled mouthwash?

Young Col

What else would you use one for?;}

Actually I agree with you, Red, about rehearsal etiquette. It happens all the time in our ensemble. Not much upsets me these days but the constant playing by others when the leader is trying to help someone else is really annoying. It's not as though you do nothing when you are waiting for the leader to sort someone else out other than yourself - it's time for practising the fingering of a passage or reading ahead. And it's the same people who when the leader has clearly indicated something like "OK, lead in to bar 25 at A, one, two...", ask where we are starting from.
That's my rant for the day. Quite calm now... Large Merlot Shiraz please...
YC

Rogerb

Like OG, I have reached an age where one tends to leave(most) frustrations for others and have been fortunate to inherit a high boiling point :)

However, I do have to spend quite a while phoning people like pensions, tax, bank, etc and I get a bit frustrated as I see the minutes clocking-up, while listening to awful muzak and being 'thanked for my patience'!

I did havva bit of a laugh when a well-known bank had, as their 'soothing music', a recording of Tom Jones, inviting me to "Just Help Yourself!" :D If only.....

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Laziness in the use of English.
For example:
People who 'should know better' such as TV news (autoboard) readers using phrases such as 'for free', 'park up', 'big ask' or 'watch on'.
The continual use of nouns distorted into verbs .
The universal use of 'gobsmacked' instead of one of the dozens of descriptive words which could apply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
The modern day obsession with everything 'celebrity'. Why do these people feel the need to keep themselves in the media? I suppose it must be ££££

AdamBradley

Sue said:
The modern day obsession with everything 'celebrity'. Why do these people feel the need to keep themselves in the media? I suppose it must be ££££
Hah! Totally. Give me Jordan and co. , all the staff for bs magazines, ok and heat and all that rubbish, in a barn in a remote part of the country. I'll bring the shotgun and we'll say no more about it.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Hah! Totally. Give me Jordan and co. , all the staff for bs magazines, ok and heat and all that rubbish, in a barn in a remote part of the country. I'll bring the shotgun and we'll say no more about it.
let me join the queue for this heroic event too! League against half-arsed non-entitiies!

Top Bottom