support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What project are you working/thinking about working on

We have been doing a weekly remote quartet video production from our sax section. But on clarinets.
Videos stitched on Reaper.

Well. I have managed to get my "3" thing kinda done. It`s now a CP ie it`s a continous play single or you can listen to the segz separately. I will be adding more bumf to the actual release. perhaps more images or even a video and defo remixes replacements etc.
Spring is however about to arrive and I start to think about prepping for busking, also have new toys arriving so I don`t know." I am very addicted to this songbashing."
I have started to circulate the release to maximize listens so heres whats up at the moment. I will post the press coverage if any on my main song thread.

View attachment 17447
Hi, Clivey. I'm in rural Alberta, Canada. Nice job. You put a lot of work into that song. I'm on Bandcamp as well but I'm a songwriter. My songs are rough demos recorded on Garageband. Here's a song I've been shopping around to aspiring and established country artists as well. I'm a member of Country Music Alberta (Country Music Alberta). I haven't had any luck thus far. Some country music types out here think they have to hook up with Nashville songwriters in order to write hits about pickup trucks, fishing holes, and partying. Oh well; to each his own. I'm more of a Johnny Cash/Merle Haggard kind of guy.

I was playing in my first band (guitar) in 1965 at fifteen years old. My favorite all-time band is The Beatles. But I'm all over the place taste-wise. I grew up in the fifties with my parents listening to Elvis, Johnny Cash, Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, Buddy Holly, Doris Day, etc. My paternal grandmother, with whom I spent every summer, was the church organist. There was a piano in the house so my younger aunts were always pounding out Elvis and Johnny Cash (Ballad of a Teenage Queen) tunes.

Most recently, fifteen years ago, I was the bass player in an oldies/blues band. These days, I'm a retired Boilermaker. I'm waiting for things to open up so I can start playing solo in old folks homes. Were I to hook up with the right guys, I would really want to play jazz standards on my Yamaha YTS-61 tenor saxophone. Disclaimer: I'm pretty much a one- or two-key guy on the saxophone.

I entered the rough demo (below) in the Country Music Alberta 2020 Songwriter of the Year awards but didn't make it past Round 1. I've had a little airplay on country radio out here and even some sales on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, YouTube and Google music. I think with 18 downloads, I'm up to $0.10 USD (10 cents). Sighs.

Another disclaimer: I'm not shopping this song here. Just want to give you, in replay to your first post, an idea of what I've been up to.

I'm about to record a few more demos but my wife has roped me into a bathroom reno in our 1950-built home. Once that's done in a few weeks, I'll be getting down to serious recording.

Cheers,
Jim

https;//jimclayton.bandcamp.com/track/a-good-days-when-i-dont-think-about-her

Last edited:
Just " prodding" this thread to see if any of the usual suspects or newer or returning members have anything to share in regards projects ongoing or even just pipedreams.

Me myself have been dividing my time between live set practice, saxes, guitars and vox, and continuing to write and record material towards next bandcamp release, and I have ideas towards next EP release probably mid to late summer.

It's difficult to anticipate that playing out in the streets could be lucrative this coming summer, what with less and less folks carrying cash, though I have seen one ambitious and optimistic bagpiper employing the use of one of these little white " card readers" you see in Pop Up stalls etc.

"Thoughts"?

I've only just acquired a Beringer audio interface, which comes with a free OEM version of Waveform 11, and a couple of condenser microphones. So I can start recording now.
Turn the Page is a top priority, and an original "It's Alright", but as a first project I'm putting together a bit of a silly, over the top version of "When the Saints", featuring the Zebra/HiXing little sax for now, with a view to include tenor and soprano sax parts later, when my wife and I are proficient enough.

Just " prodding" this thread to see if any of the usual suspects or newer or returning members have anything to share in regards projects ongoing or even just pipedreams.

Me myself have been dividing my time between live set practice, saxes, guitars and vox, and continuing to write and record material towards next bandcamp release, and I have ideas towards next EP release probably mid to late summer.

It's difficult to anticipate that playing out in the streets could be lucrative this coming summer, what with less and less folks carrying cash, though I have seen one ambitious and optimistic bagpiper employing the use of one of these little white " card readers" you see in Pop Up stalls etc.

"Thoughts"?
A friend of mine has a mobile card reader for his IT business, there seems to be quite a bit of expense involved, but the thing he is always on about is that the money takes three business days to clear. Aside from the inconvenience, he complains that someone is getting the interest on his money while it's in limbo.
It's not directly related to busking I know, but he was going to clients houses and getting paid for an hour or two at a time, so it was multiple small amounts at a time. I don't think it made financial sense for him, just more secure than taking cheques.
Each bank would have a variety of deals I should think, so it might be worth looking into, no harm in exploring the idea.
Thinking about the idea, something else that came to me was the possibility of PayPal. I'm trying to imagine myself saying "what's your email address, I'll PayPal you five bucks" to a busker, perhaps I would.* Of course a PayPal balance is best spent using PayPal, converting it to cash involves fees. Whether that's suitable I don't know.
Food for thought at least. :)

*For those not familiar with PayPal, the only information shared with anyone other than PayPal is an email address. I can open PayPal, type in your email address, and send money from my bank account or credit card to you, no other information is given or taken, just an email address. Business transactions attract a fee for the business, but between individuals the transaction is free. The con is that while money can come out of a bank account, it is deposited into a PayPal account, which can be spent online without fees, but to have it go into your actual bank account does attract a fee. Spending money online is not usually a problem though! When I was selling invertebrates regularly, I just set up the bills so that the ones that take PayPal get paid by any PayPal balance first.

Last edited:
After a year or so of playing with myself (!) I appear to joined/formed a new band. Sax, drums and bass - nice and simple. The idea is improvising - in any way we feel but generally quite free. After nearly 50 years of playing other people's music it's quite liberating.
I expect I'll get back to the usual covers stuff when circumstances allow but at the moment it's a socially distanced 3 piece in a studio.
Lockdown has forced me to have a big think about what I'm doing with these lumps of brass and I've been playing around doing stuff I've never got around to before. I've even started a Bandcamp page and populated it with some of my efforts. Stuff on Youtube too such as this latest piece of nonsense:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iutg4c0SQvo

My attempts at other instruments are pitiful so it's all saxophone of one form or another. With the new band I'm sticking to soprano and baritone. The tenor and alto can wait for the covers bands starting again. Yesterday I actually started writing stuff!!!! Never done it before. Scary.

After a year or so of playing with myself (!) I appear to joined/formed a new band. Sax, drums and bass - nice and simple. The idea is improvising - in any way we feel but generally quite free. After nearly 50 years of playing other people's music it's quite liberating.
I expect I'll get back to the usual covers stuff when circumstances allow but at the moment it's a socially distanced 3 piece in a studio.
Lockdown has forced me to have a big think about what I'm doing with these lumps of brass and I've been playing around doing stuff I've never got around to before. I've even started a Bandcamp page and populated it with some of my efforts. Stuff on Youtube too such as this latest piece of nonsense:

My attempts at other instruments are pitiful so it's all saxophone of one form or another. With the new band I'm sticking to soprano and baritone. The tenor and alto can wait for the covers bands starting again. Yesterday I actually started writing stuff!!!! Never done it before. Scary.
Excellent. Look forward to listening on commute to job.

Well- making a dedicated silent expressionist film to sound track got put on hold when I discovered quite a few from the 1920s downloadable from YouTube, including a cracking version of The Fall of the House of Usher- which i'm now working with. Much fun with my saw, saxes and miscellaneous musical junk. Elsewhere there's another album of spoken word stuff & music from my writer friend Mike Russell, as well as the Celtic dulcimer material.

Being at home in the arty end of rock music I've also reconnected with a very old friend of mine Oop North with the intention of creating a tribute album to Henry Mancini- pretty much in the style of John Zorn's output from the 1980s. This 'promises' to be loud, spikey and - pretty much like Zorn's gigs were- a bit of an acquired taste!

Also- Like Mr Wyver- here's our incursion into Bandcamp.

I'm trawling through your bandcamp output right now and am thoroughly enjoying it. This sort of folk/jazz with almost churchy inflections is really coming to 'speak to me' in recent years

I'm trawling through your bandcamp output right now and am thoroughly enjoying it. This sort of folk/jazz with almost churchy inflections is really coming to 'speak to me' in recent years
Must be an age thing. :)
Glad you liked it.

Writing stuff, eh? I 'knew' the feeling. But now that the song (see the link in an earlier reply to Clivey above) is on YouTube, iTunes, Soundclick, bandcamp, Spotify, et cetera and has had a teensy bit of airplay here in Alberta, I'm no longer self-conscious about writing either lyrics or melodies for others to hear. As mentioned as well in that post, I even had the gall to enter it in the Alberta Country Music Association's '2020 Songwriter of the Year' category.
I have a few more that I'll be putting out there soon as well. I'm off and running, lol!

In the spirit of the thread.
I've decided to call my next EP release " boys and their toys" and to try and get it done for around the end of August, which may be overly ambitious if I decide to busk over the summer months. My logic is that if I post my intention there is more likelihood that I will be able to pull it off.
It's pretty well going to be a comment on the imposed redundency of the male in the 21st century which itself is well open to a challenge or three.
Anyway this demo of the 1st track , which is also posted elsewhere is perhaps a taster. Not too sure, as now of writing I only have a few rough ideas.

Here's hoping by posting this I get busy. Ha ha.
No disrespect intended ladies.

I've decided to call my next EP release " boys and their toys" and to try and get it done for around the end of August, which may be overly ambitious if I decide to busk over the summer months. My logic is that if I post my intention there is more likelihood that I will be able to pull it off.
It's pretty well going to be a comment on the imposed redundency of the male in the 21st century which itself is well open to a challenge or three.
Anyway this demo of the 1st track , which is also posted elsewhere is perhaps a taster. Not too sure, as now of writing I only have a few rough ideas.

Loved it, lyrically and musically!

Excellent! Very listenable with lots of energy pumping through it!

Being doing a bit of everything. writing, playing, and put up warty unpolished live renditions of the "roaring 20'$" and "Scotch wine and beer" to my lonely YouTube channel.
They are modern comment folk numbers and contain language and points of views that may offend, and that's even before we consider the performances tee hee.

Last edited:
Being doing a bit of everything. writing, playing, and put up warty unpolished live renditions of the "roaring 20'$" and "Scotch wine and beer" to my lonely YouTube channel.
They are modern comment folk numbers and contain language and points of views that may offend, and that's even before we consider the performances tee hee.
Hey, Clivey, I went to your YT channel and gave a listen to a few of your tunes. I'm a fan of tell-it-like-it-is songs that poke into dark corners. Your tunes on bandcamp are polished recordings. Good work!
Jim

Hey, Clivey, I went to your YT channel and gave a listen to a few of your tunes. I'm a fan of tell-it-like-it-is songs that poke into dark corners. Your tunes on bandcamp are polished recordings. Good work!
Jim
Thanks for the encouragement and listens guys.
I've been finding that the only stuff that I can do has to be reality based,even though it isn't exactly my personal experiences, as such.

The forums all seem to entering the annual summer lull , what with football tra la la , so I thought I would poke this thread again to see if anyone was offering up inspiration.
Me myself have been noodling away at my mellotron and synth VSTI's whilst trying to continue to write and record towards my next hopeful release on bandcamp at the end of the summer.
So many ideas started and not taken past the first stages though. Grrrr.