support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones What do you like about your alto

Hanson are excellent - the new high end ones are now made 100% in the UK - if my high end clarinet is anything to go by, I`d say you`d be very happy with one ........

there`s probably no need to go down to a 5 series as they have ex-dem and seconds higher end models at around 5 series prices . Trimmy (EDIT - Who`s just posted while I was typing this) plays an 8 series Hanson and sings its praises .

The key with Hanson is to ignore electronic communication methods (especially the website which is patchy at best) and speak to them on the phone - as you`re close I`m sure Alastair can cut you some kind of deal .

Just looked at Jericho's site from link on TTS, some pretty looking horns on there.

Nice to see @aldevis link there too :)

Jx

Last edited:
Why don't you make a plan to drive over, call in on Hansons and also Woodwind Exchange? :mrcool

Some fun roads there if you avoid the motorways. :thumb:

Also some yardsale options.

That`s not a Jericho Colin, it`s a Scholarship series - from what I can gather, not in the same class and just a generic Chinese like a Windsor, Stagg etc

Why don't you make a plan to drive over, call in on Hansons and also Woodwind Exchange? :mrcool

Some fun roads there if you avoid the motorways. :thumb:

Also some yardsale options.

That's a good idea, I think I might get a Jericho on trial at a time when I can do as you suggest and that way I can compare a few, which is what I would tell anyone :)

It's hard to find the time though, the weekends just fly by at the moment.

Jx

I have a deep affection for my Selmer SA80(I) which I perceive is based on the qualities of the sax and not some psychological flaw, though I could be wrong about that one

Not an obvious choice, certainly only second hand now, not cheap but just like Colin's G4M sax it does everything I would wish

The Jericho's are available on 45 day trials - so you can make your mind up and compare to your teachers 62.

Seems a real shame they don't make a bari, which are just too expensive for most folks.

I asked her about a chance of a Bari and I think not in the foreseeable future was the response :( .......... I like SA80s too Ivan and I`m glad to have an excellent Taiwanese copy of one, it makes a great contrast to the raucous YAS21 - I couldn`t warrant owning a real one as I only play Alto for my own amusement .

The Jericho's are available on 45 day trials - so you can make your mind up and compare to your teachers 62.

Seems a real shame they don't make a bari, which are just too expensive for most folks.
If you want a good bari at very cheap price try bauhaus (woodwind & brass ltd). I was there a couple of weeks back and they had some cosmetically blemished baris. Normally they return those but sometimes let them out at a discount.

I play tested a Jericho, and although it had a couple of issues, I was very impressed for the price.

I've had 47 altos over the years and currently have three, a Yanagisawa A6, a silver plate Buescher True Tone and a ratty old Yamaha YAS21. I like them all. The Yanagisawa has the best combination of tone and feel of any alto I've ever played. It's a really great sax. The Buescher has a lovely creamy tone, although the ergonomics are rubbish. Palm keys are far too low for adult male hands. Yamaha YAS21, bought for very little, spent half an hour on some basic repairs and adjustments and it plays a treat. Great tone, rich and full, and feels great to play. Although the action's a touch clattery, it plays a storm, far more than you'd expect for the low outlay. I'll get my money back and then some if I ever sell it.

If I was looking to buy a first alto I'd go for either a YAS21/23/25 (or a Vito stencil of the same) or a brand new Jericho. I think I'd be very happy with either as my only alto. The Yam will never depreciate if it's looked after, but the Jericho will come with a warranty. If I ever came across a Yanagisawa or Buescher for the same bargain price as I got mine (Yan was £80, no neck and needing work, but sound, the Buescher £100 in perfect playing condition) I'd snap them up, but it would be very unlikely.

I play tested a Jericho, and although it had a couple of issues, I was very impressed for the price.

I've had 47 altos over the years and currently have three, a Yanagisawa A6, a silver plate Buescher True Tone and a ratty old Yamaha YAS21. I like them all. The Yanagisawa has the best combination of tone and feel of any alto I've ever played. It's a really great sax. The Buescher has a lovely creamy tone, although the ergonomics are rubbish. Palm keys are far too low for adult male hands. Yamaha YAS21, bought for very little, spent half an hour on some basic repairs and adjustments and it plays a treat. Great tone, rich and full, and feels great to play. Although the action's a touch clattery, it plays a storm, far more than you'd expect for the low outlay. I'll get my money back and then some if I ever sell it.

If I was looking to buy a first alto I'd go for either a YAS21/23/25 (or a Vito stencil of the same) or a brand new Jericho. I think I'd be very happy with either as my only alto. The Yam will never depreciate if it's looked after, but the Jericho will come with a warranty. If I ever came across a Yanagisawa or Buescher for the same bargain price as I got mine (Yan was £80, no neck and needing work, but sound, the Buescher £100 in perfect playing condition) I'd snap them up, but it would be very unlikely.

Thanks Jon, really useful don't see many second hand Yanagisawas around. I was veering towards a Jericho now I'm back wondering about the Yamahas..............

Jx

If you want a good bari at very cheap price try bauhaus (woodwind & brass ltd). I was there a couple of weeks back and they had some cosmetically blemished baris. Normally they return those but sometimes let them out at a discount.

I just checked - they are still £2.5K - way too much for most folks. And, how on earth can you convince the wife - 'you spent how much on another sax????' :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom