All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

What you like/don't like about the saxophone

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
(Besides our obvious love for the sound, and the feel of it in your hands):

What I like about the saxophone: No batteries!
What I don't like about the saxophone: it's not as easy to play at soft volumes as you can with an acoustic guitar.

Last edited:

Ne0Wolf7

The thing that bothers me the most about the saxophone (and this applies to any reed instrument) is how reeds vary between each other, or even themselves day to day. When you play a brass instrument, the mouthpiece is always the same, but those darn reeds...

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
I agree with reeds. The one thing I find to be a hassle sometimes on the saxophone.
As to what I like no amps, cords, things to plug in. I can play at different dynamic levels and adjust the timbre on my own without electronic help.

Last edited:

jbtsax

Subscriber
I like that the saxophone comes in all different shapes and sizes and it's versatility to play all styles of music in all types of ensembles and settings. I picked up my first saxophone at age 10 and instantly fell in love with it. I am still in love with it after 62 years. Plus it is a real "chic magnet". :) From this:

1587664731744.png

To this:

1587664777971.png

And everything in between. I am referring to the saxophones of course. ;)

Ne0Wolf7

I forgot to put what I like! How could I
The sheer versatility if the sax is amazing. It's not the only instrument that has this trait, but it can be played at a very high level in so many genres, and even the variation within those genres are amazing

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
I love blowing into it and hearing the sound that comes out of it! Not every note, not every time.

Then, I hate that I can't play it well as I get proof when I'm recording myself.

I love the variety of sizes and tone, as I try to play from soprano to baritone, but I hate that I can't keep up with all of them...

I love the variety of mouthpieces, but I hate that I can't make up my mind as to which one I like to play more...

I love it when I find a good reed, but I hate it when I can't find a good one to play...

I love to play the horn, but I hate that my wife can't bear it!

BigMartin

From a former clarinet player's perspective,

Like: looser emboucure
Dislike: table keys/rollers --- ugh!

Like: I like that I play all the melody parts in my concert band, most of the time. And I can cut through almost everyone by my sound except maybe for the trumpets. They’re loud too.

Dislike: The spit/condensation and cleaning after every play. And the assembly and disassembly. My piano requires neither of those after every play.

Vetinari

Subscriber
Like: I like that I play all the melody parts in my concert band, most of the time. And I can cut through almost everyone by my sound except maybe for the trumpets. They’re loud too.

Dislike: The spit/condensation and cleaning after every play. And the assembly and disassembly. My piano requires neither of those after every play.
But with a piano it needs a damn big carry case 6 big blokes to carry it.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Dislike:
1. Mechanical parts that wear and can go out of adjustment easily.
2. Tuning changes as it warms up, and/or can be impossible (some instruments) to play in tune if in too cold an environment. Also if in the cold it channels the cold into your fingers.
3. Too strongly associated with certain styles/periods of music which lead to stereotyping (the Simpsons & Sesame Street).
4. Strict conventions restrict its full tonal color use in "Classical" music.
5. Teaching regimes have encouraged an academic approach to improvisation which has led to a "fastest gun in the west" mentality instead of quality playing and innovation.
6. Most larger saxes difficult to take on planes or ship without worrying about damage. A damaged sax can be anything from expensive to only good for (undamaged) parts.

Like:
1. The instrument is less to blame than those teaching and playing. It's tremendously versatile lending itself to Balkan, Gypsy, Indian raga, African "palm wine", and a myriad of other world music styles besides "Western" genres.
2. Probably the closest instrument to a singing voice and can convey similar emotions if played well.
3. Although having a limited "natural" range (I exclude altissimo as one generally can only play this in screaming mode), there are sax voicing to suit whatever range one wants to play...I'm fond of sopranino as it records well in "singing" above most other instruments thus not further jamming those mid frequencies where most instruments play.
4. The reed problem is not a concern with high quality synthetics, so no longer any worries there (for me).
5. Relatively portable (with care), compared to Keyboards, Drum sets, Electric Guitar, Bass etc. where they require amps.
6. When you are one with your instrument (in "the zone") you can express emotions that other instruments aren't capable of.
7. No electricity needed!

Saxodent

People who go on about a certain player's Technique but all they really mean is all about playing very fast or very high or both !
The same people who then bend every note they hit because they never practiced getting a proper sound on the sax before racing ahead seeing how fast they could play it.
Key adjustments should be available for different sized hands instead of sticking on bits of rubber. Even Piano Stools go up and down !
Regardless of what Sax or MP you have on you always sound the same and no different to anyone else listening

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom