What are you listening to (plus reviews)

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
I've been busy with other things over the last couple of months but my thanks for posting these videos of the Nour ensemble, @taiwanpaul. I really enjoyed them and I will listen to more of their music. I maybe completely wrong but I seem to hear a Byzantine musical influence in the choral parts though the instrumental parts seem Persian. In any case, I love the mixture between choral and instrumental parts. I've discovered new and interesting styles of music via the cafe and this is one of those opportunities. Thanks for sharing these.

Mike

I've been busy with other things over the last couple of months but my thanks for posting these videos of the Nour ensemble, @taiwanpaul. I really enjoyed them and I will listen to more of their music. I maybe completely wrong but I seem to hear a Byzantine musical influence in the choral parts though the instrumental parts seem Persian. In any case, I love the mixture between choral and instrumental parts. I've discovered new and interesting styles of music via the cafe and this is one of those opportunities. Thanks for sharing these.

Mike
You're welcome Mike. Like yourself, I have discovered a great array of music from this thread.
Some of the Nour Ensemble's music is gregorian chanting, with a persian "solo"/ melody on top. Others almost straight from a European church, sung in Latin! It's certainly different and most enjoyable.

QWales

Yes both of those and the occasional stompage all over the thing. There’s lots of ‘Alexa Next’, when I’m not feeling it or just can’t get in there e.g. when Jimi Hendrix starts playing. It’s nice when you find one where you can play in the spaces

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
I went to an interesting 'folk concert' today by the ad-hoc Dutch duo Eric Vloeimans (Jazz trumpeter) and Eric Vaarzon Morel (Flamenco guitarist). They're both talented and independent musicians in their own right and both give solo concerts with many other ensembles, bands and orchestras. Eric Vloeimans has for some years been the most famous Dutch jazz trumpet player. But now and again they get together as friends to play flamenco-jazz 'çrossover' music.

The only video I could find of the duo is loud (hard guitar strumming) and not at all representative of the concert. For most of the concert, the guitarist finger-picked a nylon-string flamenco guitar at a soft-medium volume without any amplification. He often used left-hand 'hammer-ons' to produce tones at an even lower volume. The trumpeter kept his volume perfectly in balance with the guitar so that they always played duets. Both intsruments had equal prominence and it never became 'solo trumpet with backing'. This is the first time I've heard a trumpeter play live at pp and even ppp while maintaining tone and vibrato and it was inspiring to see and hear. Such control! With the exception of very few excursions into f, his volume range - attuned to the guitar - varied between ppp and mf. And still he played expressively.

The second video (“Mine Own King Am I”) illustrates this better. The duo played this too but the only video I could find is of Eric Vloeimans playing with piano accompaniment.

My take-away lesson was that you don't need to use the full dynamic range of the instrument to play expressively. You can do it quietly too.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
As I've posted in 'It's that time of the year again', it's my local town's annual jazz festival. It's all low budget and no big names. Two highlights were a Manchester band called "Swing Commanders'' who through their multi-instrumental versatility gave a great performance. The other highlight was was the New York based Professor Cunningham and his old school. I was a bit thrown by the 'Old School' and the blurb om the website but the gig turned out to be an energetic, up-tempo, musically masterful performance, Great sax/clarinet player.

If either perform in your area, I can recommend them.

Mike

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
I'm currently enjoying learning about and listening to Dave Frishberg. I was introduced to his work on a recent workshop with Can't Take You Nowhere
No sax but I like his piano style and his songs are fun. Here's a bio from his website if you'd like to read it: Dave Frishberg: Short Bio

I'm listening to the Retromania album just now

DavidUK

Beach Boys & Royal Philharmonic...

Received for Father's day. I enjoyed Elvis and the Philharmonic but the Beach Boys CD ruins all of these (few) classics for me, having enjoyed the real thing (not the band of that name) for 40 years.

An odd intro here, a strange ending there, mostly just the Beach Boys in between with some violins or such like. Odd. They've been too careful not to ruin the meat of the songs but this has created a half-baked result. Don't buy it.

Top Bottom