support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wet the underside of the back of the reed to help insure an airtight seal

jbtsax

R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Café Supporter
I guess we never get too old to learn new things. While trying to help a student evaluate his Jody Jazz mouthpiece I tried to pop the reed by plugging the end and sucking the air out. Out of a dozen reeds and several different ligatures, not one reed would close airtight.

Next I tried one of my tried and true mouthpieces with the same reeds and ligatures. I got the same result!!!! Now I know my mouthpieces play well and couldn't figure out what was wrong. It then occurred to me to wet the back of the reed that sits on the mouthpiece table. Viola! Every reed popped beautifully with any given ligature. It seems that the layer of moisture on the hard rubber (or plastic) helps to create a seal against the porous fibers of the reed.

Next I went back to the Jody Jazz that chirps and squeeks when both the student and I play it, and used the same wet reed technique. Nada. Nothing. Zip. The mouthpiece will still not create an airtight seal with any of the same reeds that worked on my mouthpiece when wet.

The student may need to get another mouthpiece, but I learned an important tip after over 50 years of playing and teaching. That is to wet (not soak) the underside of the back of the reed to help insure an airtight seal against the table of the mouthpiece.

I was given that tip by a bloke in WWR in Cambridgeabout 5 years ago. Not something I do routinely but a handy tip for those frustrating occassions when mp and reed dont want to work together.

I was given that tip by a bloke in WWR in Cambridgeabout 5 years ago. Not something I do routinely but a handy tip for those frustrating occassions when mp and reed dont want to work together.

I have problems with mouthpiece, reed AND fingers working together properly

The solution?

Wet the lot:

Madness.jpg

The "rest of the story".
Under magnification the side rails of the Jody Jazz mp did not meet the tip rail on the same plane. In other words there was a slight "speed bump" at each corner of the tip of the mouthpiece. This is probably why a reed could not produce an airtight seal and "pop" when the air was sucked out.

An email was sent to JodyJazz.com and a very prompt reply was received graciously informing us that the mouthpiece could be returned and a replacement sent at no charge---even for postage. They earned my respect as a company with integrity that puts the customer's interests first.

The "rest of the story".
Under magnification the side rails of the Jody Jazz mp did not meet the tip rail on the same plane. In other words there was a slight "speed bump" at each corner of the tip of the mouthpiece. This is probably why a reed could not produce an airtight seal and "pop" when the air was sucked out.

An email was sent to JodyJazz.com and a very prompt reply was received graciously informing us that the mouthpiece could be returned and a replacement sent at no charge---even for postage. They earned my respect as a company with integrity that puts the customer's interests first.

Jody must Have been on his coffee break when that one slipped through, I believe he advertises that he checks all his MPs. But great after sales service.

The "rest of the story".

Most excellent service

Jody Jazz mouthpieces are usually good, but like all manufacturing the occasional duff one slips through quality control - my friend had a similar experience with a tenor HR and they apologised and swapped it for him.
I got my Jody HR6 alto mpc for £65 from Howarths back when they first came out and it's one of the few mouthpieces in my collection I would never sell

but I learned an important tip after over 50 years of playing and teaching. That is to wet (not soak) the underside of the back of the reed to help insure an airtight seal against the table of the mouthpiece.

interesting... I have always sucked both ends of my reed before putting it on the mouthpiece - the business (thin) end while setting up my sax, and the thick end gets a quick lick before applying it to the mpc.

I always thought I was odd :w00t: doing this, no-one has ever told me to, but apparently I am just clever! :)))

I, too would like to put in a good word for Jody's customer service. When my JJDV started to lose its plating, I rang them from Spain, and Jody himself answered. He apologised and promptly sent me a replacement, trusting me to send the original. Seems a lovely guy.
He sent it loose in a padded envelope, declared as 'saxophone parts' value $5, and it arrived safely (a $450 mpc :eek: ). I rang to thank him and asked what he'd have done if it had gone missing ... he replied "I'd just have sent you another!" :p
(Sadly I didn't get on with it that well .... almost certainly more me than the DV! ...and it went to a new home in Norfolk, IIRC)

interesting... I have always sucked both ends of my reed before putting it on the mouthpiece - the business (thin) end while setting up my sax, and the thick end gets a quick lick before applying it to the mpc

Next I went back to the Jody Jazz that chirps and squeeks when both the student and I play it, and used the same wet reed technique. Nada. Nothing. Zip. The mouthpiece will still not create an airtight seal with any of the same reeds that worked on my mouthpiece when wet.

I have never even though of doing this, but will certainly try it as I have a squeaking issue with a mpc that I rate very highly. But I am a little puzzled by popping a reed. Is it fit the reed, lig tight, put a finger in the big end of the mpc and suck to stick the read to the rails? Should it alway stick?

Interesting thread jbtsax. Ta

I've always felt guilty "moistening" the table of the mouthpiece when setting up, try to do it when nobodys looking.

Only a little off topic but ever since I saw our alto player holding a reed between his index finger and thumb and popping it in his mouth, I have used a small glass of water. He looked just like one of those really clever chimp or monkey types when they push a grass into a termite mound and then suck the delicious little critters off the stalk.

Perhaps that was the beginning of saxophony. Evolution, fantacka, ay.