• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Miscellaneous watches

Hi aldevis, I bought in 1998 an Oris Jazz limited edition 1997 with McCoy Tyner (when still a teenager pianist with theJohn Coltrane quartet) signature engraved on back. Great watch never loses and has never been in for repair. I wear it swimming, weight training etc. so it withstands shocks and shakes. Only thing I regret doing is changing the leather strap for a metal one. It cost £680.00 1998 but I have been told you can pick them up on Ebay for about £500.00. They are a limited edition only 555 ever made mine is No.245. Great watch fully automatic 27 jewels. Good luck and regds N.

Good advice! but in 97 McCoy Tyner was a grown up man. I jump on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ORIS-...istwatches&hash=item3f13cb15f0#ht_3246wt_1169

Shame it costs like a 10m tenor.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another mechanical watch fan here.

I've got an Omega Seamaster that was an 18th birthday present and my late brother's Tissot - both work very well, but I usually wear a Vostok. If you want a cheap, reliable and waterproof mechanical watch the Russians ain't bad.
 
I am impressed by the amount of people in this cafe keen of mechanical watches.
Is that because mechanical watches can swing and quartz can't?
 
I think Rolex still make an automatic. I had a gmt master that kept excellent time for decades. I imagine it is doing the same for the b***** that stole it.

Rolex only make automatics. And they make their own as well, rather than buying in ETA movements like Omega, Oris and most of the other Swiss manufacturers.
 
You got it.
Any suggestion? Any knowledge about the low price vintage market here in uk?

And a yamaha 25 is more in tune than a King super20 silversonic.

Take a walk down the Strand and have a look at Austin Kaye's shop. They also have a website, but not all the watches in the shop end up on the site.

For lower cost autos, as Nickl says, look at the Russians, also Seiko make some good autos. They're not marketed here officially but are quite easy to get hold of. Their divers' watches are amazing value - SK007 and SK009.

Also try a couple of web forums - RLT and TZ-UK
 
Take a walk down the Strand and have a look at Austin Kaye's shop. They also have a website, but not all the watches in the shop end up on the site.

Damn! Incidentally I have to be around there this afternoon.
And on their website they have few beautiful pieces that cost less than a 10m

I need to upgrade my flute, I need to upgrade my flute, I need to upgrade my flute, I need to upgrade my flute, I need to upgrade my flute...
 
From about 78 to 98 I never wore a watch then decided to buy one.
I did not want a mechanical winding one or one with batteries so I bought one termed a Q-matic that is powered by a magnet, coil and capacitor.
Good clear face with date. It gains about 10 seconds in 6 months so I just reset it when changing the hour.
Made by a local watch and clock company called Sewills.
 
I haven't worn a watch for about 15 years now, and I don't miss it one bit. There is almost always a time-teller close to hand (eg phone), and where there isn't - eg going for a walk - I don't want one.
 
I haven't worn a watch for about 15 years now, and I don't miss it one bit. There is almost always a time-teller close to hand (eg phone), and where there isn't - eg going for a walk - I don't want one.
I rather wear a watch than ask the first alto "arewethereyet?arewethereyet?" during a boring gig (when a phone is not advisable).

Targa, interesting company, Sewills
 
Lost track v that lot but I have two watches. I bought myself one in 1969 for £19-11-6, Avis solid 18 carat lozenge shaped front and back and my old man's Certina gold watch from his retirement at Firestone tyres in 1974. I look at them often, wear them seldom, rely on my phone for the time and often reflect that a thing of beauty is a joy forever. The missus do not seem to preciate what it is she have married.
 
Lost track v that lot but I have two watches. I bought myself one in 1969 for £19-11-6, Avis solid 18 carat lozenge shaped front and back and my old man's Certina gold watch from his retirement at Firestone tyres in 1974. I look at them often, wear them seldom, rely on my phone for the time and often reflect that a thing of beauty is a joy forever. The missus do not seem to preciate what it is she have married.

Are you not a thing of beauty Mike? >:)
 
I have a manual wind Omega Seamaster from the 60's that is accurate within 10 seconds a day. More than accurate enough for me.

Nobody will blame you for arriving 40 seconds late in a meeting 😉
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,278
Messages
576,528
Members
8,089
Latest member
ajcm568
Back
Top Bottom