support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • For copyright reasons, please only upload your tracks to Wikiloops.

You can then embed the tracks here, there is no need to use the Wikiloops share code, just paste the URL into the message and an embed player will be created automatically.

Rock & Pop The Other Sax #11

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Here's a pop ballad in 3/4. This is an opportunity for playing some backing and a solo in the middle. Unlike Mainstream playing what you want for a track with a singer is to compliment what they are doing and in your solo reflect what they have sung. A technical expose` only breaks the mood and continuity. The key is always to put the music first. First track is with sax which comes in a 1/4 of the way through. The second is for you to give us your improvisation.
This track is embedded with the friendly permission by the creatives on wikiloops.com
View: https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-26376.php

This track is embedded with the friendly permission by the creatives on wikiloops.com
View: https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-24456.php

Keep it up @Wade Cornell

Interesting to hear these morsels and, when time allows, I'll have a go

Whilst I find these interesting and hope to do some recordings, there are too many for me over a short period of time. One a month or maybe one a fortnight would be much more likely to encourage a good range of contributors in my view.

Rhys

Whilst I find these interesting and hope to do some recordings, there are too many for me over a short period of time. One a month or maybe one a fortnight would be much more likely to encourage a good range of contributors in my view.

Rhys
I think @Wade Cornell is drawing from loops posted on wikiloops over the past three or four years. I feel less overwhelmed by deciding I can post when I feel like it rather than when each comes out here....but I don't Wade to be disheartened at our lack of immediate activity

Last edited:
There are discussions going on about making up some sort of catalog so that these can be referenced according to style. The only thing not sure is where/how. So for now, they will just appear on a daily basis until somebody says STOP.. I'd suggest downloading and storing the ones you like so that you don't have to search for them later.

I'm just a jammer on the wikiloops site so download (as I suggest you do) many times more than get posted back. When I do get around to recording I'll record between 3 and 12 tracks in a session. There is no preparation, just jam. The idea is to hear the music, get the feel of it, and play "fresh". Wish I could say that every track was easy or that every recording was a winner. Not the case. Maybe one out of six that was downloaded gets posted back. The editing usually takes a lot longer than the recording.

I've posted around one a week on wikiloops, but could have posted much more. Here, at the Cafe these tracks are being presented as a resource for others to practice and play with. They could be cataloged without the sax addition, yet I think it gives (along with the short commentary) players here the opportunity to hear how the sax can be used in a number of different styles (that hopefully fit).

I'd be happy to transfer much/most of the tracks sooner rather than later, but that's up to Pete and the moderators. If I were to post one a month it would take (with the number there now) 40 years to fill up the catalog. I'm in my 70s so doubt that I'll be around posting these in 40 years. If they show up sooner, then players can just go to a style they like and have a number of tracks available.

I can't say for sure that a cataloged system will emerge. It may be that these just show up (as now) one per day. If they pass by without being taken up they could be swallowed in the pages here and forgotten.

How does the wikiloops model work?

How does the wikiloops model work?

Members upload music they have recorded. the music MUST be original...no copyright material whether current or otherwise is allowed. "Templates" can be downloaded'. Tracks are often just used for practice or a member can upload their addition back to the site. All types of music are accommodated as well as those who may just want to do "mixes". No music is excluded and beginners are also encouraged. The only things that are forbidden are abuse of others, and discussions of politics and religion (same as here). The site does not collect or sell data, but has some adds unless you are a supporting member. You can get more detailed information by visiting the site.

Members upload music they have recorded. the music MUST be original...no copyright material whether current or otherwise is allowed. "Templates" can be downloaded'. Tracks are often just used for practice or a member can upload their addition back to the site. All types of music are accommodated as well as those who may just want to do "mixes". No music is excluded and beginners are also encouraged. The only things that are forbidden are abuse of others, and discussions of politics and religion (same as here). The site does not collect or sell data, but has some adds unless you are a supporting member. You can get more detailed information by visiting the site.
I was thinking more about how a loop is catalogued and stored once it's uploaded. Is it like this forum, where an old thread might be found through word search and resurrected, or is there a visible queue of new uploads or, like BOTM or IOTM, is there a way in which uploaded loops are grouped?

Because the daily upload of your loops will provide a very large resource, is there a way of making a favourite loop become 'topical' or at visible in some other way for a while, that's different from the New Posts list in this forum?

Personally I like your double posts, one with your saxophonic interpretation, by the way

Last edited:
@Ivan if you really like a track bookmarking it will make it easy to find in the future :)

Jx

If you are in the habit of using bookmarks...

No worries we are going to create a subforum and add some prefixes to identify genres but other than that we can't help organise any differently I don't think.

Jx

I was thinking more about how a loop is catalogued and stored once it's uploaded. Is it like this forum, where an old thread might be found through word search and resurrected, or is there a visible queue of new uploads or, like BOTM or IOTM, is there a way in which uploaded loops are grouped?

Because the daily upload of your loops will provide a very large resource, is there a way of making a favourite loop become 'topical' or at visible in some other way for a while, that's different from the New Posts list in this forum?

Personally I like your double posts, one with your saxophonic interpretation, by the way

Thanks Ivan for your compliment and clarification. The wikiloops site is manly about music...it's all about the tracks posted. There is a forum for discussion, but that is separate. People can comment on the tracks as each track is it's own thread. When people add to the track it opens an new thread. From the initiation of a track (posting a template) to the last addition is all available to be seen by hitting a button that gives the "tree" which shows the template and everything that follows. Branches happen where several people add different parts. In the case of a track I've brought here I've already added a sax. If you add to the track without sax and posted it on wikiloops it would be a branch. If you add a sax part on top of what I played then it's not a separate branch.

The storage on wikiloops is under your membership, but also publicly available according to the track number. There is a search function that goes by style (limited number of styles) and can include or exclude specific instruments. For instance you can go into wikiloops and search for a Bossa Nova that has just piano, drums and guitar. A list will then come up of all the tracks that fit. The search is only as good as the information that people put in at the time of posting, so it doesn't always work as well as it should.

If you like a player's style, you can also go to their membership and see all of the tracks they have posted. It's possible to "follow" specific players, and you will then get a notice (by E-mail) every time they upload a new track. Tracks can be listed with all the key changes, style, tempo and BPM. Many don't have all of that information.

I suggest that you go to the wikiloops site and check directly there. There are videos to give you information that are bound to be better than my explanation.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom