PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones The New King tenor by Keilwerth

thomsax

I bought a Keilwerth built "The New King" the other day. According from the serial # (60XXX) it's from c 1968.

Some questions and thoughts:
Who put the black laquer on the sax? It's a pro job. Can it have been done in -68?
The acrylic keygaurd is replaced with metal.
The cloth gaurd is acrylic.
The pads are with no resonators/reflectors?

Otherwise it seems to be a good intermediate sax. No damage to talk about (straight body, neck fits) but the sax is leaking. I bouhgt it for less money with a Berg Larsen ss mpc. I know some Rocksax players who wants a cheap tenor so I 'm going to offer them "The New King" for the same money as I bouhgt it for + the material cost (maybe new pads, corks and felts). I like the tone from these big bore saxes.View attachment 728View attachment 729View attachment 730

Thomas

this is the second New King that i have seen with black laquer so i am guessing that they were probably produced that way around the time this one was built.
i had one of the older ones with the acrylic key guard and it served me well for the best part of a decade in all sorts of settings rock,jazz live work and recording sessions i often miss the old beast!

this is the second New King that i have seen with black laquer so i am guessing that they were probably produced that way around the time this one was built.
i had one of the older ones with the acrylic key guard and it served me well for the best part of a decade in all sorts of settings rock,jazz live work and recording sessions i often miss the old beast!

I think you're right. There's a thread in saxwelt.de where someone has posted a shot of himself with one, complete with acrylic keyguards and a wish that he hadn't sold it, but he did so for the money. He also says there weren't amny balck saxes around then, but he'd anted a black one.

I think you're right. There's a thread in saxwelt.de where someone has posted a shot of himself with one, complete with acrylic keyguards and a wish that he hadn't sold it, but he did so for the money. He also says there weren't amny balck saxes around then, but he'd anted a black one.

So the black laquer can be original? Keilwerth dropped the acrylic keygaurds because they crackled? Most Keilwerths had rolled toneholes but mine has straight toneholes. I have another Keilwerth alto stencil (Wikena -56) with rolled toneholes and very sturdy keygaurds. Built like a tank! I almost got a King (Cleveland, OH, USA) feeling when I play Keilwerth built saxes.

View attachment 733View attachment 734

I bought the sax for half the price of a BW student sax with a Berg Larsen ss mpc. But I think I'm going to repad "The New King! tenor.

Thomas

The pic on saxwelt has acrylic keyguards.

http://saxwelt.de/index.php/en/home-topmenu-17/keilwerth-/70929-keilwerth-the-new-king.html#70962

My guess is you've a mix cos some of the acrylics broke and were replaced with metal, but it's a guess.

My teacher has a New King Tenor of about the same age, straight tone holes, metal guards - sounds fantastic... Better than his Kohlert or Mk VI.

So is it lacquer, or plated?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom