jbtsax
R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
- Messages
- 8,990
- Location
- Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
From Johnny Hodges to David Sanborn, or Lester Young to Michael Brecker the "concept" of sound of the saxophone in jazz has undergone a radical transformation. I would like to pose the question: What was the "driving force" behind that change? What pushed mouthpieces to become more loud and edgy and have more of a "buzz"? Was it to compete with the amplified sounds saxophone players had to compete with? Or was it just part of the change in music overall from mellow and sentimental to whatever one might call the sound of popular music today. Based upon my own experience, I suspect the generation the listening audience grew up in has a lot to do with their individual tastes and preferences of the sounds they enjoy listening to. Thank goodness we senior citizens still have recordings to take us back to the music we relate to and find enjoyable.
I should be noted Michael Brecker had such a command of the instrument, he could produce a whole pallet of sounds, but when "pushed" his sound became bright and edgy.
