jbtsax
R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
- Messages
- 8,990
- Location
- Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Yes, really.Really?
Boots Randolph - Yakety Sax - Bing videoI’ve said it before... find me a recording of a pro sax player in any style/genre that doesn’t use vibrato at all..
Full marks for trying. When he actually plays a note long enough, and not scooped, he does. First example at about 49".
Well, if you take away the vibrato from these performances and others then they would be very dull. Stringed instruments would be much smaller in sound too.Yes, really.
I listened to the examples you gave, and some others here. And for me the vibrato adds no extra value at all, I might even say that I would prefer it without the vibrato.
But of course, everybody has his or her own preferences, if you like vibrato, that's fine by me. Just wanted to say that it's nothing special to me, perhaps even a distraction more than anything.
I'd mostly agree with this, and it is the way that vibrato has mostly been used on the saxophone. But some players use it for far more of the note (as their main sound, not occasionally) and it works just as well.most of the time, you only want it at the very end of the note
Part of his personality. Part of his sound.vibrato is almost always constant
Yes. So interesting though. Before I heard him play I’d never have contemplated playing like that in a pop or jazz style.Part of his personality. Part of his sound.
I could only listen to about half of this programme. Felt like it belonged on ClassicFM rather than BBC Radio 3. Up to the point that I baled out it had not been mentioned that an opera singer wouldn't have enough muscle without vibrato to go toe to toe with a full orchestra. The debate really is a question - that they do touch on, but in a non-serious way - of how wide the oscillation is. Whether this should change depending upon the range of the note - higher notes with the "same" amount of vibrato will sound more wild.As this thread is currently turned to vibrato, here is an interesting 30 radio programme / podcast that discusses it. Mainly in relation to singing, but just as relevant to other instruments.
![]()
BBC Radio 3 - The Listening Service, How to Sing Classical - Vibrato!
Good vibrations or horrible wobbling? Why do singers use vibrato?www.bbc.co.uk
Chris
The saxophone is essentially a lyric instrument, whose tone and use is associated with the human voice. Inasmuch as vibrato is accepted as a natural embellishment for the voice, it is logical that the saxophone be treated likewise. The problem, then, is not to attempt to justify the use of vibrato, but to achieve a good vibrato that can be used in the very best of musical taste.
Dr. Carl Seashore defines "good vibrato" as a pulsation of pitch, usually accompanied by synchronous pulsations of loudness and timbre, of such extent and rate as to give a pleasing flexibility, tenderness, and richness to the tone.
The good Doctor...This has been great discussion. When introducing the topic I'll admit I had in mind the change in the "timbre" of the tone of the saxophone from warm and mellow to bright and edgy, but I now realize that the transformation in the style of vibrato is an integral part of the discussion on the "evolution" of the saxophone sound.
Not only has the style of vibrato changed as the "classical saxophone" concept of sound has broadened to include influences beyond the "French School", but the saxophone vibrato in jazz has undergone an even more dramatic change from about the 1920's to today. Early recordings give evidence that the early jazz players used a vibrato that was considerably wider, and in some cases faster and more constant that players today. Jazz players generally moved toward a vibrato added toward the end of long tones that was not as fast or as wide as their predecessors. In some respects the fast, almost constant vibrato characteristic of the style of "smooth jazz" players today has come full circle.
Larry Teal in"The Art of Saxophone Playing" includes an entire chapter on vibrato in which he states:
Not wanting to add another deflection to the topic; but blues and jazz where born out of "world music fusion"...world music fusion are some of the extremes.
Interesting that Getz was 7 years younger than Charlie Parker, a year younger than Coltrane and 7 years older than Turrentine.Regarding vibrato, I happened to listen to this because of a mention of the song by @rhysonsax and note that I didn't every notice Stan played with so much vibrato, some on almost every note. I checked other versions, including live and he always played it this way. I guess I've never ac tually listened to his playing that much. I know he's a giant, but it's not my era.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxE9HT4rd5M
