support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The CaféSaxophone saxophone

Summer has caused some slow downs, but here is a bit of R & D going on in regard to a bit of a different material for hinge tubes. Very very light and very strong but presents some problems when you try to solder to it.

I would advise talking to the America's cup sailing team. They know about using exotic material in tough contexts. They may even have a base near Southampton...

Solid carbon fibre for rods?

Not exactly solid. We found carbon fibre to be a little flexible, but note here the pattern. This stuff is very unflexible.
I would advise talking to the America's cup sailing team. They know about using exotic material in tough contexts.

Strangely enough we are dealing with a company in Portsmouth in regard to this.

My instincts would lead me to use some kind of glue to hold the accessories. Perhaps even glue some parts to screw other stuffs into. But avoid screwing directly into the carbon fiber.

Interesting! A quick search tells me that regular “pultruded” carbon fibre rods have poor torsional stiffness. While torsional stiffness is obviously very desirable for use in a saxophone. Learnt something new today!

Not exactly solid. We found carbon fibre to be a little flexible, but note here the pattern. This stuff is very unflexible.

Strangely enough we are dealing with a company in Portsmouth in regard to this.

Interesting! A quick search tells me that regular “pultruded” carbon fibre rods have poor torsional stiffness. While torsional stiffness is obviously very desirable for use in a saxophone. Learnt something new today!

We learnt something new a little while back. You can see that this is not your bog standard carbon fibre:

(reposted better image)

cf4.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly, I read that there are other manufacturing processes which orient the fibres in the “right” (ie not longitudinal) direction for torsional stiffness. I guess one of those must have been your pick!

Well, it's still ongoing. Another thing is how the point screws interact. There is some other stuff going on inside involving other types of carbon fibre and other materials that will all be revealed of course when (or if) this goes into production. It is of course still depending on whether the whole idea passes the tests.

How could such material be swedged if the sax were to need it?

Swedging is not possible, nor will it be needed.

Bear in mind there is more to this than a point screw sticking into a bit of Portsmouth carbon fibre. As I said above there are other materials involved but for reasons I hope people understand I'm not saying too much. Partly it's a secret, partly I am not qualified to explain technically and partly, we are still in the teaser stage :)

Back
Top Bottom