PPT mouthpieces

The CaféSaxophone saxophone

The 7M is actually a 6** (half way between a 6* and a 7) and very similar indeed. I think E.P. couldn't quite

Ahhh .... the real thing... truly bad@§§...

Mr Thomas encapsulates the sound of the rock n roll giants of the mid 20th century .... where all the juice is ...... few notes .... 100%. Soul ... what music should be about.......

Showing utmost respect to Mr Thomas ... the great maestro of this forum....

@Pete Thomas - apologies if this has been mentioned before...

Are you planning a pass around? Not for me, but to those who can really play so they can add some sound clips and comments so us mere mortals can assess whether to buy one?

Are you planning a pass around?
I'd love to. But a saxophone pass around would be tricky. Given our margin will be much lower than probably any other company, and that the profit margin goes to charity anyway, we would not want to sustain the inevitable loss.

With the best will in the world, all the shipping and handling will have an effect on the instrument which could well need a set up after postage (however well packed a teeny tiny knock could cause something to go out of whack. The recipient gets a less than ideal instrument to test so could actually be counter productive.

There will be a good returns policy of course.

Apologies if I missed the info, but is the price already set for alto & tenor? Are you starting with alto only?

Will you disclose margins etc.? Not that I care strongly since it's going to charity anyway and you seem to hint at it being a very good deal, but would be interesting to know.

Apologies if I missed the info, but is the price already set for alto & tenor? Are you starting with alto only?

No prices yet. We need to know what the initial (development) financial outlay as that obviously must be recoupable.
Will you disclose margins etc.? Not that I care strongly since it's going to charity anyway and you seem to hint at it being a very good deal, but would be interesting to know.
It would make little sense, which is why hardly any company would do that as it inevitably can be misconstrued. It has to cover warehousing, insurance, advertising, postage, R&D (as above) so I think it could be huge can of worms to publish an actual margin..

However Cafesaxophone is a limited company, something I started a fews ago so that a lot of our financial dealings are a matter of public scrutiny. I'm also happy to publish our Profit and Loss reports so people can compare those with our published charitable donations, bearing in mind the profit won't tally immediately with donations due to reinvestment such as this project.

I'd love to. But a saxophone pass around would be tricky. Given our margin will be much lower than probably any other company, and that the profit margin goes to charity anyway, we would not want to sustain the inevitable loss.

With the best will in the world, all the shipping and handling will have an effect on the instrument which could well need a set up after postage (however well packed a teeny tiny knock could cause something to go out of whack. The recipient gets a less than ideal instrument to test so could actually be counter productive.

There will be a good returns policy of course.
Maybe we could plan a Cafe Saxophone get together when the new sax is available and we could come to it rather than vice versa. A pass around in a day with no shipping involved, if you like.

Location to suit @Pete Thomas , and maybe more than one event.

Rhys

Maybe we could plan a Cafe Saxophone get together when the new sax is available and we could come to it rather than vice versa. A pass around in a day with no shipping involved, if you like.

Rhys

No problem, this is planned anyway. A Cafe meet. We could maybe do one up North (Hanson in Marsden have a biggish room available or somewhere else northern - we previously looked at Band on the Wall in Manchester. Any suggestions welcome.

Down South maybe sax.co.uk, but not sure they'd appreciate a "launch" of an instrument they aren't selling. Maybe back to the idea of an event at the Concorder club in Eastleigh.

Or people are welcome to drop by Thomas Towers in Southampton.

Down South maybe sax.co.uk, but not sure they'd appreciate a "launch" of an instrument they aren't selling.

If it's for charity though, they might not mind being associated with it?

Rhys
That was my next thought too, but rather than just a get together where you have to be present to try, or to hear, the sax played I think Pete should invite some players from the forum who would be happy to have recorded both their playing and their comments.

A videoed pass the pass around would be great. After some behind the scenes try outs, each plays a little on video then describes how they feel about it.

Much like the other Pete and a Jericho:
View: https://youtu.be/KlAqjtrS-HU

That was my next thought too, but rather than just a get together where you have to be present to try, or to hear, the sax played I think Pete should invite some players from the forum who would be happy to have recorded both their playing and their comments.

I think maybe we could hold it at @Stephen Howard's worksop.

I think maybe we could hold it at @Stephen Howard's worksop.
Maybe @Stephen Howard would like a hand clearing some space.

A videoed pass the pass around would be great. After some behind the scenes try outs, each plays a little on video then describes how they feel about it.

Much like the other Pete and a Jericho:
View: https://youtu.be/KlAqjtrS-HU

To be honest, I have never learnt anything useful about the sound of a saxophone or mouthpiece from watching / hearing someone else playing it on a video or audio recording. Hearing them give their thoughts on the sound usually has me wondering what their motivation is - are they trying to sell it, are they being paid to endorse it etc.

Getting the horn in my hands and actually playing it usually tells me everything i want to know in a couple of minutes.

Rhys

To be honest, I have never learnt anything useful about the sound of a saxophone or mouthpiece from watching / hearing someone else playing it on a video or audio recording.

Me neither, although sometimes you can if they are comparing two - but even then without a blindfold test it is technically meaningless unless there is some huge glaring discrepancy between them.

I agree it's not ideal but generally you can pop into a local store and try out many of the mainstream horns.

I agree it's not ideal but generally you can pop into a local store and try out many of the mainstream horns.
And given that many retailers want at least a 100% markup, you'd maybe be paying twice as much for a CaféSaxophone

Have I ever bought a new sax... let me think... Yes! I bought a TJ Raw alto, and that was unseen/unplayed. I guess that confirms Rhys' point though. Everyone rated it, the videos and sound clips were good, but I played it once and it did nothing for me - sold it!

No problem, this is planned anyway. A Cafe meet. We could maybe do one up North (Hanson in Marsden have a biggish room available or somewhere else northern - we previously looked at Band on the Wall in Manchester. Any suggestions welcome.
This seems like a good idea. Not that I would be attending (quite a journey for me + not in the market for a new/better horn at the moment). But it sound like something I would like to attend. Maybe everybody could bring their own horn so one could compare the new saxophone to it. And that way one could get an idea how it compares to some of the "benchmark" saxes. ????

Back
Top Bottom