All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

The Café Saxophone Video Compilation, Volume I

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
I'm feeling a bit Marvin at the moment but if you want some sop (or atb) give me a prod.
Hey Nick, soprano sounds great! Please play over the third solo verse and PM me a link to download video and audio files. If you are not in a hurry, it would be interesting to listen to the existing video with two solos, in case there's a chance to "answer" something in it. Otherwise, if this is a good time, go for it.

NOTES for everyone:
1. I can't download your video from YouTube, it needs to be on a cloud storage site with the file sharing set to "Anyone with a link".

2. If you have a video with really good audio, a separate audio file isn't needed.

3. Later today, I will post here what we have so far.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Here's the version so far. It will probably have to be polished up a bit. However, here's a head scratcher: YouTube is calling copyright. I guess in the melody? If this is a problem, we may need to reinvent the melody! The backing track was created with BiaB and "enhanced" by me and can't be owned by anyone but me. You can't copyright chord changes, as Spirit found out a few years ago.
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.29.26 AM.png

Link removed because it's not the latest

Maybe we can change the name to either Cantaloupe Man or Watermelon Island?

Last edited:
OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
The copyright claim is for "It's Got to be a Change"
I can't find the song on Google. The section shows is the turnaround chords!

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.43.29 AM.png

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Yes, it's not a risk, we just can't monetize this chef d'oeuvre!
I found a sync problem, fixed it then did another take. Here's the updated short version. I will make the full one available for @Nick Wyver and anyone else who wants to participate.
This is a half size video (downloadable full video and audio files are in post below):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe4uEBzXtGY

Last edited:
OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
For anyone who's interested in participating, here are the audio (50 MB) and video (100 MB) files as mixed so far.

The video is 720p, the audio is enhanced and I intend to use it on the final video.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Still room for more courageous candidates?
@rhysonsax we need a break-out group to play the final head with your music, if possible.

rhysonsax

@rhysonsax we need a break-out group to play the final head with your music, if possible.
Liking it so far.

I have sorted out the 6 saxophone parts and uploaded them to Watermelon Man - Box

But they are for the Mongo Santamaria version of the tune (e.g the triplet twiddly bit in the B section, which could be simplified) and so you might like to check whether the head through to the ending (sections A and B plus Coda) will work with your backing track.

If the music matches, I am happy to record audio for as many of those parts (S or A or T or B) as you need to make it up to a full section.

Rhys

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Could someone who reads music check this out? :)

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
I'll check it out if you point me to the right version of the backing track and let me know where you the time in the track that the head comes back in.
The track and video are here:

The next available solo #4 (reserved for Dave) is 2:45. One more #5 is 3:24

The last head starts at 4:02

rhysonsax

OK, I understand the last head and where it starts, but the ending sort of stops - what's supposed to happen after bar 16 of the final head ?

Rhys

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
It's the old BiaB BS ending. I'd planned on fading. Or adding a longer vamp and riffing. We're not there yet :)

rhysonsax

It's the old BiaB BS ending. I'd planned on fading. Or adding a longer vamp and riffing. We're not there yet :)
OK - I'll make some recordings and maybe you can reverse engineer an ending to that or just fade out.

Rhys

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
I added four bars of F and a full stop on 1 of the fourth bar. Sounds almost like an ending. We can mess with riffing out as a final step. And what about the final "Watermelon man" singing in those bars?

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom