All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

The Café Saxophone Video Compilation, Volume I

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Might not get to it until the weekend though.
Awwwwwww! (wah wah trombone)

BTW, anyone here play trumpet? That'd be cool on the head harmony.

I will generate a version of a backing track that is about 5-6 minutes long. It can always be changed later.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Awwwwwww! (wah wah trombone)

BTW, anyone here play trumpet? That'd be cool on the head harmony.

I will generate a version of a backing track that is about 5-6 minutes long. It can always be changed later.
Well, I could get get to it before that - but it also might not happen. I'll give it a go though...

Trumpet would be cool... Soprano also works for trumpet parts i think (but not me. Yet.)

rhysonsax

I think @rhysonsax is preparing a horn section part. If someone does the lead part, then the others could follow that. Does it work like that???
If it is settled that the (first) tune is Watermelon Man then I can do some sheet music parts, but it would be good to know the instrumentation and also the chords and the form.

The six horn arrangement I have could be adapted as follows:
  • Trumpet 1 = soprano
  • Trumpet 2 = alto 2 (optional)
  • Trombone = tenor 2 (optional)
  • Alto sax = alto 1
  • Tenor sax = tenor 1
  • Baritone sax = bari
All contributors could play the head and some backing figures, stylistically based on the lead, but the mixer could decide which ones to use and how loud.

If you would like to see it before I work on it, then start a PM and I can email it as a PDF.

Rhys

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
All contributors could play the head and some backing figures, stylistically based on the lead, but the mixer could decide which ones to use and how loud.
I would like to have this at the end for various reasons. I'd like to see one or two on the head, solos and then this idea, if it's possible. It would be great, but it's the most complicated part, gathering several audio recordings (and possibly video as well). As yu say it will require knowing who plays what.

Before momentum fizzles, I would like to make a start on this. The backing track can be manipulated (remix levels, kill guitar or redo it or have something else...).

So with this in mind, if @Mark Hancock does the lead tenor and someone else does an optional second part (alto tpt...) I will do the second solo that leaves two more slots (1 bari, 1 soprano?) to provide a video of verse solos. Then the big finish from @rhysonsax 's work.

The finished piece is about 5 minutes long. There can be an unlimited number of subsequent versions until someone is ready with another song.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
I would like to have this at the end for various reasons. I'd like to see one or two on the head, solos and then this idea, if it's possible. It would be great, but it's the most complicated part, gathering several audio recordings (and possibly video as well). As yu say it will require knowing who plays what.

Before momentum fizzles, I would like to make a start on this. The backing track can be manipulated (remix levels, kill guitar or redo it or have something else...).

So with this in mind, if @Mark Hancock does the lead tenor and someone else does an optional second part (alto tpt...) I will do the second solo that leaves two more slots (1 bari, 1 soprano?) to provide a video of verse solos. Then the big finish from @rhysonsax 's work.

The finished piece is about 5 minutes long. There can be an unlimited number of subsequent versions until someone is ready with another song.
Ok - I'll have a crack at this Asap (that means I'll start this evening), and we see how it looks, and then we work out building up the horn section and adding solos...

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Consider this a test run, eventually, we may get good at this!

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I wouldn't mind having a go at this. But work is priority at the moment so can't be sure when I'm going to get the time to do it. Any chance I can put my name down for a 'to be added as and when I get to it'?

I definitely won't play too many notes...

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Any chance I can put my name down for a 'to be added as and when I get to it'?
Everyone will have a chance! Not necessarily in one video but there will be several (if the test works out). I don't want to do more than five minutes for the first try.

rhysonsax

I'm happy to play any of the saxes for this or future recordings and could even double up for the horn section parts if required.

Given a bit of time and beer I might be able to persuade a drummer and bass player to participate in future - they live together, have access to a Zoom video/audio recorder and are very experienced.

Rhys

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
I'm happy to play any of the saxes for this or future recordings and could even double up for the horn section parts if required.

Given a bit of time and beer I might be able to persuade a drummer and bass player to participate in future - they live together, have access to a Zoom video/audio recorder and are very experienced.

Rhys
That all sounds excellent! Hopefully, everyone understands we need to do a first, simple, proof of concept. I can envision a beautiful future where we are able to do original and interesting things! I have already made some changes to a segment I plan to play on by removing some of the rhythm section to bring the dynamics down.

I have added four bars of F at the beginning. We'll see what can be done with that, but it's sets the groove. I felt jumping right in to the head was too quick.

Current status is that Mark will play the head on tenor and take the first solo on tenor or soprano. He will make that video available to me for incorporation when he's ready. I have the second slot on alto, which I will record and add tomorrow.

Three solo slots remain available after that. Perhaps I can show a preview tomorrow night (CEDT) or Thursday. We'll see who's available for the three slots and then what needs to be done for the "big ending".

A second part (or more) can be added to the head as soon as its main part is recorded.

h4yn0nnym0u5e

If it is settled that the (first) tune is Watermelon Man then I can do some sheet music parts, but it would be good to know the instrumentation and also the chords and the form.

The six horn arrangement I have could be adapted as follows:
  • Trumpet 1 = soprano
  • Trumpet 2 = alto 2 (optional)
  • Trombone = tenor 2 (optional)
  • Alto sax = alto 1
  • Tenor sax = tenor 1
  • Baritone sax = bari

If you would like to see it before I work on it, then start a PM and I can email it as a PDF.

Rhys
Any room for a contra in the backing? Not interested/good enough for a solo though...

rhysonsax

Any room for a contra in the backing? Not interested/good enough for a solo though...
A Contra !!! A CONTRABASS SAXOPHONE !! ??

Is that for real ? (second time this evening i have written that).

I think the first video is a fairly simple trial run which won't be using the full set of six horn parts.

But if there is a contrabass on offer that opens up some amazing opportunities for a further video with a sax ensemble - maybe a written arrangement without rhythm section.

Rhys

h4yn0nnym0u5e

A Contra !!! A CONTRABASS SAXOPHONE !! ??

Is that for real ? (second time this evening i have written that).

I think the first video is a fairly simple trial run which won't be using the full set of six horn parts.

But if there is a contrabass on offer that opens up some amazing opportunities for a further video with a sax ensemble - maybe a written arrangement without rhythm section.

Rhys
This would indeed be for real... just a shame about the player, really! Will keep an eye on developments, then, sounds like it could be a load of fun.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom