support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tenor Mouthpiece Size...

AlistairD

As most of us are at home, here's one that's always intrigued me...

I have always found large diameter mouthpieces much easier to play than smaller diameter ones. So for example, I have three 9 wooden pieces from Lebayle and Brancher which I find much easier than a 8 metal piece and even a 6 HR piece (that is a small diameter HR piece). I know it's not the material as I used to play a 9 HR piece fine.

It could be the facing lengths I guess but my gut feeling is that it's more to do with the diameter. So the larger diameter pieces require less 'force' from your embouchure to create the same effect than a smaller diameter piece?

Any thoughts????

A

It's all to do with jaw position affecting the oral cavity.

After reparing my alto piece the beak was much thicker. On top of this I stack 3 or 4 thick patches to get my mouth in the right position.

Lots of people find the thinner metal pieces suit them better than a larger HR. I suppose the opposite is also true.

I'm confused (nothing new there).

Do you mean the outer diameter of the main body, the inner "size" of the chamber or maybe the "height" of the beak and how much that makes the player open up their mouth ?

Rhys

It could be a number of things. First, what is mentioned about beak size. Also we dont know if the more difficult ones have a much different facing or even a screwed up facing. Chamber size also comes into play. Some players certainly favor slimline pieces over larger pieces (or the other way around). Some easily adjust to either. We really dont have enough data to make a determination. Most importantly you have something you like to play so go for it.

I'm confused (nothing new there).

Do you mean the outer diameter of the main body, the inner "size" of the chamber or maybe the "height" of the beak and how much that makes the player open up their mouth ?

Rhys

Hi Rhys

I'm talking about the outer diameter not the chamber size...

Though of course it could be to do with chamber size as well - who knows...

I've tried a reasonable number of metal pieces (and never really got on with any) some mid size HR pieces (like JJ or FL) and these are just about ok, and then all the large pieces Wood and HR and most of these have been pretty good.

Just my experiences...

Hi Rhys

I'm talking about the outer diameter not the chamber size...

Though of course it could be to do with chamber size as well - who knows...

I've tried a reasonable number of metal pieces (and never really got on with any) some mid size HR pieces (like JJ or FL) and these are just about ok, and then all the large pieces Wood and HR and most of these have been pretty good.

Just my experiences...

I would guess that it might be down to the shape of the beak or the tendency for larger-bodied mouthpieces to also have larger chambers.

I find a (slightly) bigger beak feels more comfortable and encourages me to open up my throat.

Or it could just be chance or something psychological.

A metal mouthpiece with a large chamber, such as an Otto Link metal or the 1940s Dukoffs as played by Dexter Gordon, can have a great big sound, but less good examples may sound stuffy or flabby.

Rhys

Tried my new JJ with a Legere and it made an ok sound... physically and chamber size between my wood pieces and metal one.

The experiment continues.

A