support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tone Tell me about Earl Bostic, how did he get that constant growl?

Lots of good info here! My teacher tells me not to go in so many directions at once, but I can't help myself! Too little time left. I gotta find the sound and do my thing fast before the grim reaper grabs me.

In one school of classical playing vibrato is not something "added to" the sound but is an integral part of it. Marcel Mule is a good example. In mainstream jazz on the other hand, vibrato is used more sparingly as an embellishment to the sound. I believe that using a "growl" would fall into the same category.

There was a story that Earl Bostic had part of a razor blade inside his mouthpiece. Either that was a myth or it was an early example of the metal spoiler that can be inserted in some Runyon mouthpieces to give an aggressive sound.

Rhys

There was a story that Earl Bostic had part of a razor blade inside his mouthpiece. Either that was a myth or it was an early example of the metal spoiler that can be inserted in some Runyon mouthpieces to give an aggressive sound.

Rhys
The teacher I had when I first started playing, made a reed from steel, I imagine it was I bit like a Razor Blade,. Ouch! He only tried it once.

This video has a very quiet soundtrack but lets you see the removable metal spoiler that can be placed in some Runyon mouthpieces.

Shame they didn't bother to record it properly.

Rhys

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom