All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Earl Bostic

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
Now for some reason, after playing sax for over 20 years and often hearing the man spoken about in reverential terms, I'd never really listened to Earl Bostic until this morning. What a fool I've been.

I just downloaded a cheap compilation from iTunes and it's fantastic. Such joyful playing (a little over the top at times, admittedly) and technically pretty damn special too if that's your thing.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Some one that has escaped me too, must have a listen:)

Jx

Fraser Jarvis

Everyone keeps banging on about how he played a tenor reed on his Beechler Belite alto piece, well i have that same mouthpiece on my Silversonic but just coulden't get anything with a tenor reed, maybe he shaved the sides down? i dont know...

altissimo

Locality
leicester
Everyone keeps banging on about how he played a tenor reed on his Beechler Belite alto piece, well i have that same mouthpiece on my Silversonic but just coulden't get anything with a tenor reed, maybe he shaved the sides down? i dont know...
http://earlbostic.com/ - I think that's a diamond dot in the photo on the website...
I think the use of a tenor reed may be a myth, but who knows? The secret of Earl Bostic's sound was Earl Bostic

Kingsleyhk

Locality
Nr. Bandung, Indonesia
A few more clips on my website:

http://www.kingsleyjazz.com/170035024

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Another great player I've never heard of. Sheesh. My favourite era too. Looking into him now though I can't find the song in question.

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
He was my dad's favourite player and he tried for years during my teens/twenties to get me into saxophone and jazz/blues music. Me knowing better (like all teenagers) derided him and went on watching/listening/dancing to the likes of Floyd, The Who, Stones, Bowie, Slade and then onto heavy metal and AC/DC were my favourites for a long time. If I could back and give my younger self a slap (gentle), I would have got into music like this many years before I did (as a very old teenager of about 40) . Still never too late and he is amongst my favourites now - thanks Dad x

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
He was my dad's favourite player and he tried for years during my teens/twenties to get me into saxophone and jazz/blues music. Me knowing better (like all teenagers) derided him and went on watching/listening/dancing to the likes of Floyd, The Who, Stones, Bowie, Slade and then onto heavy metal and AC/DC were my favourites for a long time. If I could back and give my younger self a slap (gentle), I would have got into music like this many years before I did (as a very old teenager of about 40) . Still never too late and he is amongst my favourites now - thanks Dad x

Geez Sue AC/DC!? At least your Dad had good taste...:thumb:

If you ever visit Kiwiland you can have a feed at Phil Rudd's restaurant

http://www.philsplacenz.com/

Greg S.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom