All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Teal vs Allard embouchure

Which saxophone embouchure do you use or prefer?

• The "Teal Embouchure" described in "The Art of Saxophone Playing"

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • The "Allard Embouchure" taught by Joe Allard and his students who are teachers

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Other: Please Describe

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Wade Cornell

This might help you to decide. ;) Ray Smith recorded the clarinet, oboe, alto sax, and bassoon parts to
Les 3 Mousquetaires by Pierre-Max Dubois on his album of classical music entitled Tableaux de Provence. You can listen to excerpts at the link below.

Tableaux de Provence CD by Ray Smith

For a sample of his jazz playing go to this link.

Q'D Up
Thanks for posting the link to Tableaux de Provence, which I'd never heard and thoroughly enjoyed. Smith's articulation is marvelous. His ability to play those Baritone passages so well in Sonatina for Baritone Saxophone and Piano was quite amazing. The only critical point would be his very fast vibrato which stands out as less desirable, especially when you hear it against the bassoon player in the third movement of Tableaux de Provence. The bassoon player has perfect vibrato (for my taste) against Smith's nervously fast vibrato.

What I found really interesting is his Les Trois Mouskuetaires in which he plays everything. Even though his vibrato is still very fast it works here as every instrument is in sync with the same exact vibrato speed, which I've never heard before. It's worth a listen just for that, but also his ability on all of these instruments quite special.

I'm totally unimpressed by his "jazz" recording as his playing is (IMHO) very "stiff". No wrong notes for sure and precise technique, but lacking feeling, just playing "as written" or very formulaic.

Pete Effamy

Thanks for posting the link to Tableaux de Provence, which I'd never heard and thoroughly enjoyed. Smith's articulation is marvelous. His ability to play those Baritone passages so well in Sonatina for Baritone Saxophone and Piano was quite amazing. The only critical point would be his very fast vibrato which stands out as less desirable, especially when you hear it against the bassoon player in the third movement of Tableaux de Provence. The bassoon player has perfect vibrato (for my taste) against Smith's nervously fast vibrato.

What I found really interesting is his Les Trois Mouskuetaires in which he plays everything. Even though his vibrato is still very fast it works here as every instrument is in sync with the same exact vibrato speed, which I've never heard before. It's worth a listen just for that, but also his ability on all of these instruments quite special.

I'm totally unimpressed by his "jazz" recording as his playing is (IMHO) very "stiff". No wrong notes for sure and precise technique, but lacking feeling, just playing "as written" or very formulaic.
Interesting, as his vibrato bothered me a lot too.

Pete Effamy

Another interesting point about vibrato and multi-instrumentalists is that they often don’t or can’t vary their vibrato. The same vibrato style won’t suit each instrument.

mizmar

Other: Please Describe

"You know how to play sax didn't you, Steve? You put the mouthpiece between your lips and blow"
although that was, obviously, a throwaway quip, turns out it's called the "Garzone embouchure" :thumb:

otherwise, another great interview by Jay.

Last edited:

Wade Cornell

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but I'm sorry this thread has taken such a negative direction.
This is a site that shares information and provides a type of peer education while assisting new players to hear what we may think are good players and technique that some of us consider outstanding. In that vein how is it not acceptable for critical comments to be made? Were they all negative? Were some just an unbiased assessment/opinion. Critical listening and comments are (hopefully) helpful and not necessarily intended as being disparaging. I frankly can't see anything disparaging that was said, it's just opinions and information.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom