support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Tall Sax Stand

I wouldn't recommend one at all.
Accidents happen - and when a horn gets knocked off an ordinary stand the damage can be quite nasty. When a sax takes a tumble from a tall stand things get much more serious.

I've seen quite a few horns that have suffered that fate. The last one was a lovely old Selmer. I spent a great deal of time putting the horn back in to shape - and when the client collected it I said "Ditch the stand - it's asking for trouble".
He ignored my advice - and some time later I got a message to say it had fallen off the stand again. I didn't reply.

I'm not terribly convinced my Hercules tenor stand is any good. I had to modify it to get a better, more secure angle on it...and every now and then I find that the sax slips and tilts sideways. If it does that on a tall version, it's not going to be good.
I might go back to my old K&M/Hamilton thingy.

I wouldn't recommend one at all.
Accidents happen - and when a horn gets knocked off an ordinary stand the damage can be quite nasty. When a sax takes a tumble from a tall stand things get much more serious.

I've seen quite a few horns that have suffered that fate. The last one was a lovely old Selmer. I spent a great deal of time putting the horn back in to shape - and when the client collected it I said "Ditch the stand - it's asking for trouble".
He ignored my advice - and some time later I got a message to say it had fallen off the stand again. I didn't reply.

I'm not terribly convinced my Hercules tenor stand is any good. I had to modify it to get a better, more secure angle on it...and every now and then I find that the sax slips and tilts sideways. If it does that on a tall version, it's not going to be good.
I might go back to my old K&M/Hamilton thingy.
Thanks for the advice, Stephen. I've just been reading people's experiences with tall stands. I think you are right, I'll just leave it.
Cheers Stephen!

I have the Hercules fold up stands. Never knocked an alto or tenor off but it depends how careful you are I guess.

Is it for home use in your dedicated studio or for gigs when you're switching between instruments?

I have a few stands, but have to say that I’ve always been wary of leaving my horn on the bandstand during a break unless it’s the type of gig that no one has access to the stage and there is sufficient room for band and techies to not go near it - like it being on my own riser.
Even then I’ll only use stands if I’m on a multiple horn gig and don’t have much choice.

For what it's worth, I don't use a tall stand but my stands are resting on a table, so my horns are at a very convenient height but not in the way.

I must add that this is in my studio and almost no one except me comes down there.

Actually, my youngest son comes once in a while but I'm more worried about him knocking off my baritone that is on its stand, on the floor... It used to be on a small table but in a corner, so protected on the sides, reducing the risks.

I have the Hercules DS730B stand:

I had to make a few adjustments to make it fit the sax better and I've also tightened up the bolt that holds the adjustable backrest so that it is no longer adjustable.

It works great for me when I'm practicing and faffing with laptop, headphones and when cleaning the sax etc.

You do need to be careful when you place the sax on the stand that it's seated properly or it will start to rotate.

Importantly, I don't have children, or preform where I'm sharing a stage and someone could walk past and bump it and I always put the sax back in the case when I've finished playing. If any of these were different I would probably rethink my choice.

On my guitar stands I have an elastic loop on the adjustment "knob" that goes around the neck (which would be the bell on a sax) and hooks back on to the knob, my own addition. There's no way the guitars can fall off their stands, the whole stand would have to be knocked over for them to hit the ground, and even then, they'd still be on the stand. I don't have sax stands yet, but I'll definitely be putting elastic loops on them when I do.
Just something to think about. :)

I use Herucles/Jupiter/Bulldog sax stand at home. In the corner in the sax room. Never when I'm at a crowded jam or small club gig. Better to use the case and just take off the neck. I don't switch saxes so often. And if I do they have to wait until I'm ready.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom