PPT

Accessories Bass sax stand

EdJ

Locality
UK
I have seen some images of bass saxes on what look like Hercules stands. Can Hercules baritone stands be used for bass saxes. I have a baritone and occasionally ponder getting a bass and something that could safely hold either would be good like the alto or tenor stands. Any experience out there?

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I will be interested to hear how other people respond.

I have a Hercules combined alto + tenor stand that I use and like. But when I have seen Hercules baritone stands in action they look a bit precarious and flimsy. I wouldn't trust my baritone to a Hercules - it goes on a SaxRax stand that is very secure.

For my special Low A bass sax I got John from SaxRax to make a bespoke stand - again that is very secure but a bit more complex than their baritone model. Although the bass model is supposed to allow you to play the sax when it is on its stand, I haven't found a workable position.

The Andreas Kaling playing stand for bass sax looks good but at £565 from Howarths it's too much for me.

Rhys

Last edited:

lydian

Locality
USA
I’ve adapted several bari stands to bass by simply bending the top and moving the bottom support down, like with this cheap Titan stand ($20 US). I suppose you could do the same with a Herc. I don’t play my bass on a stand. I just lay it across my lap, no strap or harness either.

1645890499633.png

Hankenstine

Locality
UK
I’ve adapted several bari stands to bass by simply bending the top and moving the bottom support down, like with this cheap Titan stand ($20 US). I suppose you could do the same with a Herc. I don’t play my bass on a stand. I just lay it across my lap, no strap or harness either.

View attachment 19763

I did the same and it actually works reasonably well but I can't say I completely trust it. I always worry about coming back into my practice room to find the bass has taken a tumble. Also it's unfortunately just a bit too low to play it sat down with it in the stand.

Last edited:

SaxBySW

Locality
London

I have a Hercules combined alto + tenor stand that I use and like. But when I have seen Hercules baritone stands in action they look a bit precarious and flimsy. I wouldn't trust my baritone to a Hercules - it goes on a SaxRax stand that is very secure.

For my special Low A bass sax I got John from SaxRax to make a bespoke stand - again that is very secure but a bit more complex than their baritone model. Although the bass model is supposed to allow you to play the sax when it is on its stand, I haven't found a workable position.

The Andreas Kaling playing stand for bass sax looks good but at £565 from Howarths it's too much for me.

Rhys
I've got a Hercules stand for my Bari - no issues whatsoever.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I've got a Hercules stand for my Bari - no issues whatsoever.

I'm sure that's correct - so many people use Hercules bari stands. But when I have seen people use them I have noticed a lot of flex backwards and forwards.

Rhys

lydian

Locality
USA
I did the same and it actually works reasonably well but I can't say I completely trust it. I always worry about coming back into my practice room to find the bass has taken a tumble. Also it's unfortunately just a bit too low to play it sat down with it in the stand.

View attachment 19764
Removing the rags will greatly improve the stability. The foam padding has much more friction.

For playing on that stand, just move it to your side and tilt on just 2 legs as if it were a peg. Works reasonably well but still too uncomfortable for me.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I have the same Tiger stand for baritone. Very simple construction.
I'm sure a fabricator could knock something more robust up for bass using a speaker stand tripod and a piece of bent tube with a horseshoe shape welded on top. A little foam and black paint and voila. ;)

turf3

Locality
Earth
I use a modified Hercules baritone stand for playing bass. I had to extend the square tube that holds the upper "horseshoe" to get it up to playing height, so I brazed in an extension. The lower support is a wee little crescent so it's easy for the lower part of the bell to slip off of it. Someday I'll replace it with a cradle that approaches 180 degrees of support. I also had to heavily modify both the opening and angle of the horseshoe itself by bending.

For reference my bass is a Noblet, which is shaped like the modern Selmer bass (or Chinese knockoffs thereof). A long wrap American style bass would fit the stand differently.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs

Rhys
My Baritone has been on the same Hercules Bari + alto/tenor stand for 11 years. No problem and definitely not flimsy.

Latest: Members' Recordings