support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

StaxofSax Workshops

littleplum

Hi Folks

Further to my thread posted during the summer, I though that I would let you know that due to the success of that workshop, we have booked the date for our next one. We are using the same venue again (south Wigston Salvation Army hall, Leicester) due to the excellent acoustics and facilities.

The day is not Jazz based but ensemble based looking at different genres of music and how the sax copes with it.

The cost is the same as last time, £30.00 per person and the day will run from 10am to 3pm with registration and warm up at 9.30am.

Same as last time, any cafe members signing up will have 10% of their fee donated to Pete's charity

We had great fun last time and made some good music too

hope to see some of you there, its good to put a face to a name.

Best wishes

Dave

ps further dates will be added when we have found other venues

What is the date? Leicester not too far - if I'm free I'll come along.

Well spotted Sue, that was a deliberate mistake (NOT!!) regarding the date. The date is the 20th October.
As far as abilities go, we think you need to have been playing for a minimum of 12 months, but if we know in advance we can arrange for some easier parts for people to have a go at.

If anyone wants to discuss this on an individual basis then feel free to pm me

Thanks

Dave

Workshop update

Hi Folks

Things are gathering momentum and we have got confirmed bookings for a quarter of the places. Some returnees and some new players. If you are finding it difficult to get a day off perhaps you could pull a saxophone sickie that day? It's worth it.

best wishes

Dave

Hi Folks

With just under 3 weeks to go there are only 4 places left (Sue and JasonC are you still interested?) So if anyone fancies a fun day playing their sax with other people then let me know.

Dont forget, 10% of your ticket money is donated to Petes charity for Cafe members.

regards

Dave

Hi Jason

Sorry to hear about your other half, hope it all sorts it self out soon. We are planning on running another workshop between Christmas and new year so that people can show off their sax related Christmas pressies and blow out the Christmas cobwebs, so keep an eye out either here, facebook or on my site.

best wishes

Dave

StaxofSax Workshop

Thanks Martin, glad you enjoyed it. I took a few pictures and hope to get them up in the next couple of days. Hope your journey home was a bit less eventful!

Of course we will keep you informed as soon as we can confirm a date and venue. We would love to use the Salvation Army hall again but they are fully booked over the christmas period for when we are thinking of holding the next one.

What was your favourite piece we played today?

Regards

Dave

I'll be looking forward to the Pictures Dave..

Yes the return trip was uneventful, The daft thing was that I had planned to use the A5 to get there but at the last minute decided to use the Toll road and M6 to get there faster, my mistake, once onto the M6 proper I met that huge Que for the crash at the A444 junction. 2 hours from Cannock to Bedworth, thats life.. :)

I enjoyed all the pieces, the one i struggled with most was the classical one where the part i had was heavily on the left hand palm keys and I'm not at all comfortable playing there. I guess more practice needed. Thats my fault though and not intended as a criticism at all.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Hi Folks

Just thought that I would feedback how the Workshop went in October. We had 18 delegates, including one Cafe Member (the donation is on its way Pete) 12 adults and 6 young people.

There was a presentation on technique to start with and also video clips of unusual saxophones and players.

'Chris had worked his usual magic and aranged 'Billie Jean' Albanoni (which isn't by him really) Lollipop and hit the road Jack.
But I think his suprise warm up of the first 8 bars of the Toccata and Fugue had everyone thinking what had they let themselves in for.

From the feedback we have received, it looks like a good day was had by one and all and requests for another one soon.

We even had a Head of expressive arts come along as he had sent some of his sax pupils along on the last one and wanted to see what we did and how he could use it for his trumpet players. as they were complaining that they had nothing like this.
As usual the venue was brilliant and they looked after us really nicely, so thank you to the Ross at the Leicester South Salvation Army hall.

We have booked the date for the next one but I am going to start a new thread for that in a minute.

Hope to see some of you on the next one

Best wishes

Dave

ps pictures are on the StaxofSax facebook page if you want to have a look