support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Soundman® Metal Mouthpiece

Just received from Totalbrass, Germany......

Dear profjames,

Hello,
yes, the mouthpiece is made in China. You can test the mouthpiece in our store. It can also be returned within 30 days, but only if it have been used with care (meaning with a mouthpiece patch etc.).
Best regards,
your Totalbrass Team

It's odd how we are suspicious of the quality of something from China but from Germany we know it will be precision made lol. A chinese import from germany is just too emotionaly confusing

compare these two

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-Gold-...ltDomain_0&hash=item19e1b1d8b0#ht_3214wt_1157

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Pack...uments&var=&hash=item27d0d23906#ht_601wt_1157

Both look like a sharkbite or a delacole to me. I suspect they are identical and from the same factory, but who knows?

These are also sold by CE Winds as the Gold Genesis. Fancier version of course with engravings et all for $149. I've got one for alto and one for tenor. I prefer the alto but the tenor plays well also, but it's a little bright.

http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/k...es 2/IMG_7742_zpsd0e82c56.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/k...es 2/IMG_7741_zps4529440d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

At this sort of money i would just leave well alone,its one thing buying a Sharkbite at £25 or there abouts but i personal would buy i well known brand for a little more money,or buy used on Ebay

Last edited by a moderator:

I have one of these. I recently had the opportunity to compare it with a >£200 mouthpiece. A tenor playing friend has a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece marked with the same tip opening. We both agreed that in the mouth they felt indistinguishable and to be honest there was only a miniscule difference in tone between them. You had to listen very intently to even tell it was there. The biteplate of the Chinese one is made of staggeringly hard plastic and I've yet to mark it even though I would never use a hard rubber mouthpiece without a patch.

I have one of these. I recently had the opportunity to compare it with a >£200 mouthpiece. A tenor playing friend has a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece marked with the same tip opening. We both agreed that in the mouth they felt indistinguishable and to be honest there was only a miniscule difference in tone between them. You had to listen very intently to even tell it was there. The biteplate of the Chinese one is made of staggeringly hard plastic and I've yet to mark it even though I would never use a hard rubber mouthpiece without a patch.

These are the ones I have, they are said to be Selmer copies, they play well, the ligature could have been better.

So the big question is - How does the Sharkbite perform ? . £25 to the door is insanely cheap for a metal piece .

Great. As said a bit bright, but very good. I got one second hand on ebay for a £10. It was to small an opening for me so I sold it on. I intend to replace it. There are lots of different ones on ebay from china. High baffles, table cut outs. Make sure you get the one you want if you go for one.

Great. As said a bit bright, but very good. I got one second hand on ebay for a £10. It was to small an opening for me so I sold it on. I intend to replace it. There are lots of different ones on ebay from china. High baffles, table cut outs. Make sure you get the one you want if you go for one.
The tip openings are numbered differently on these. 6 (.085), 7 (.090), 8 (.095), 9 (.100), 10 (.105), 11 (.110), 12 (.115)

That`d explain the small opening . 6* = .95 in Otto link language (seems to be the most common conversion), you`d need an 8 in sharkbite to equal that. I`d like to know where Yamaha fits in as none of the on-line Mpc charts have the full Yamaha list on them for tenor or alto .

Certainly the chinese are as capable as Lawton or Link at machining metal so I can`t see any reason why they can`t make perfect reps of vintage pieces which play as good as the real thing , I`m amazed they aren`t more readily available.

Back
Top Bottom