All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Accessories Saxophone swab recommendations

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Me too, but with split shot from fishing tackle shop. Though still using a fairly useless shop-bought thing with a cloth+bristle arrangement for the crook.
My only commercial pull through is for bari... brass weight, extra long, strong cord, swab that fits through the pigtail

Works well but tricky to thread through

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
My only commercial pull through is for bari... brass weight, extra long, strong cord, swab that fits through the pigtail

I have one of those too, but I have only used it once because:
1. It requires rotating the bari a couple of times in mid air.
2. The thought of the swab getting stuck inside the bari is too frightening. (I have had a swab get stuck in my bassoon wing joint a couple of times, which is pretty scary, but it is relatively easy to push it out when the bore is straight. No way to do this with a bari.)

thomsax

A tip from the Rocksax Woodshed: This is working for cleaning and "swabbing" bari and bass sax tubes. A flexible nylon coated wire with two replaceable brushes. The black brush reach to the G#/G tone hole on a bari. The white reach up to the bow, but better to insert from the neck joint. You can form the brushes and cover them with some kind of cloth. Use it dry or humidified (I use apple cider vinegar). It's more cleaning?? My daughter is helping me to make the clothes. She is a master on that. The wire is long enough for low A baris and bass saxes (even to low A).
bariswab.JPG

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I have one of those too, but I have only used it once because:
1. It requires rotating the bari a couple of times in mid air.
2. The thought of the swab getting stuck inside the bari is too frightening. (I have had a swab get stuck in my bassoon wing joint a couple of times, which is pretty scary, but it is relatively easy to push it out when the bore is straight. No way to do this with a bari.)
Yes you need room to swing a bari. For that reason I use it intermittently

It's robust enough to calm my fear of blockage

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Yes you need room to swing a bari. For that reason I use it intermittently

It's robust enough to calm my fear of blockage
Given that most of the moisture in a Bari collects in the u-bend, I’ve never been sure of the need for an extra long pull-through and Bari sax twirling exercise classes. :rofl:o_O

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Given that most of the moisture in a Bari collects in the u-bend, I’ve never been sure of the need for an extra long pull-through and Bari sax twirling exercise classes.
I ken

But even after ventilating spittle key, there's a fair coating left. It may not be necessary, but I live dangerously and swab anyway

Saxholder Pro
Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom