Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
Tutorials

Accessories Saxophone swab recommendations

Ne0Wolf7

Merry Christmas! :happydance:
This year, I managed to work my to a brand new alto saxophone- A beautiful YAS 62.
However, when I was at the store, I forgot to get myself a good set of swabs. On a limb, I decided to use my Hodge tenor swab, which has proven perfect for the neck and mouthpiece somehow and, more suprisibgly, is a bit too small for the body. If I fold it on itself a little bit, it works perfectly again.
I found my solution rather surprising, but I am only a fetus in the world of saxophone, so I am curious as to what you all do for swabs. There must be something more crazy than a tenor swab in an alto! Orthodox solutions are welcome too of course.

JazzMatt

Account Closed
Merry Christmas! :happydance:
This year, I managed to work my to a brand new alto saxophone- A beautiful YAS 62.
However, when I was at the store, I forgot to get myself a good set of swabs. On a limb, I decided to use my Hodge tenor swab, which has proven perfect for the neck and mouthpiece somehow and, more suprisibgly, is a bit too small for the body. If I fold it on itself a little bit, it works perfectly again.
I found my solution rather surprising, but I am only a fetus in the world of saxophone, so I am curious as to what you all do for swabs. There must be something more crazy than a tenor swab in an alto! Orthodox solutions are welcome too of course.
I use BG swabs... a30 and a31, plus a65s, if I remember correctly.

All work splendidly

InWalkedBud

I use a Hodge swab on alto. On tenor, I swab only the neck, and use an HN pad saver on the body, then leave it on the stand to air out as long as possible. If the horn's unusually moist, I'll also swab the body. But it's a royal pain, and I've twice almost dropped my tenor after the neck strap came unhooked while swabbing.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
BG A-31 for me.
I also have a fluffy padsaver-like thing, but the BG swab is better.

helen

I use silk pull-throughs for alto and tenor. For the necks I use a fuzzy neck swab.. (Not sure of the brand.) I also make sure that I use a soft rag (old T-shirt) to dry the inside and outside of the neck tenon, and the inside of the receiver. When I get home--if I'm not there already--like most here already, I allow to air dry.

This all said, one of the most important things you can do to help your horn, is to avoid drinking anything high in sugar, or eating anything. Brush your teeth--or at least rinse your mouth well--before you play, and only drink water while playing. This will help avoid a lot of the nasties that tend to accumulate in instruments over the years, and reduce pad life.

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
I use silk pull-throughs for alto and tenor. For the necks I use a fuzzy neck swab.. (Not sure of the brand.) I also make sure that I use a soft rag (old T-shirt) to dry the inside and outside of the neck tenon, and the inside of the receiver. When I get home--if I'm not there already--like most here already, I allow to air dry.

This all said, one of the most important things you can do to help your horn, is to avoid drinking anything high in sugar, or eating anything. Brush your teeth--or at least rinse your mouth well--before you play, and only drink water while playing. This will help avoid a lot of the nasties that tend to accumulate in instruments over the years, and reduce pad life.

This is really good advice. Thanks for sharing. I make it a habit to brush my teeth and rinse my mouth with Listerine before playing.

ESJohn

I just received a Herco HE57 neck swab for my alto. A nylon brush at one end and a swab at the other. Purchased somewhat on a whim, although I had been wanting a neck swab for a while. The brush goes clear through just fine but not the swab. Cost about $6. Where on the neck does moisture generally begin to accumulate? Should I curse the darkness and buy another? Thanks!
P.S. Why, oh why, didn't I research the subject here before I spent those big bucks?!

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I just received a Herco HE57 neck swab for my alto. A nylon brush at one end and a swab at the other. Purchased somewhat on a whim, although I had been wanting a neck swab for a while. The brush goes clear through just fine but not the swab. Cost about $6. Where on the neck does moisture generally begin to accumulate? Should I curse the darkness and buy another? Thanks!
P.S. Why, oh why, didn't I research the subject here before I spent those big bucks?!
You should take the miserly old man approach and use an old hanky on a bit of string.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I have a BG microfibre pull through for my tenor body, and a neck pull through for both the tenor neck and the baritone neck.
My Selmer alto came with its own body pull through, sort of diamond shaped with a cord on both ends - a long one for going right through the body, and a short one on the other end ( not sure why! )

I used a smaller square cotton pull through on my alto neck (pretty much a cotton handkerchief sized piece of fabric with a weighted cord on a corner. I also pull this through my straight sop, and a similar one through my clarinet.

Finally, I have a Hodge silk swab for the Bari pigtail.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom