Tutorials

Saxophone and Folk music?

Jamesmac

I thought the sound of the Tenor fitted in well, it wouldn't be out of place as an instrumental break to a vocal. But I think less is more with a slow folk tune. I've often thought about doing a Tom Waits tune on Tenor.

Clivey

@Jeanette. I`ll re do it but at the Mo I quite like the Flaws.
@ Jim. I love hearing things that should not work kind of working. tee hee. I`m very in favour of the Sax and Clarinet being used in music of a Celtic nature (If it sounds good ). I`ll admit straight away that I detest much of the commercial " Tartan Folk Music " up here which is of course where all the Pros make the big money .Weddings, Céilidh`s etc,even the Mod , but that's just the Sugar coating / presentation as some of the music is very very good

Jane M L

Love it - it brings tears tears to my eyes.
I've just handed over my very tidy little Meister alto to a friend to learn on. She was diffident about admitting she listened mostly to folk music and I'll send her a link to this.. So please don't take it off and , yes please , do another version too.

[ Mind you i was brought up near Glasgow and went to the art school there. Bagpipes make me cry and your tenor just hit that sweet spot too.]

Clivey

Love it - it brings tears tears to my eyes.
I've just handed over my very tidy little Meister alto to a friend to learn on. She was diffident about admitting she listened mostly to folk music and I'll send her a link to this.. So please don't take it off and , yes please , do another version too.

[ Mind you i was brought up near Glasgow and went to the art school there. Bagpipes make me cry and your tenor just hit that sweet spot too.]
Thanks for that. I played it once and recorded it. "so pretty authentic from that point of view" . I`ll admit to also finding it quite a sentimental piece. I have not played it again since, but will.

I always hold out for the chance that some of the members here will post anything they like outwith the usual Saxophone genres and hope that others will give us their interpretations of rootsy music they have heard in a more folk context.

robb1

Have a look at my band, Sheepstealers, playing tradition British (mostly English) songs and tunes as a saxophone quartet (with an option on double bass):-

View: https://youtu.be/W1A0jJVlPMI

and/or

Clivey

Very rootsy in an English vein. I would love to hear more from you members out there referencing the roots/folk music you were raised on. I think it would be very entertaining and educational how many melodies have drifted over the planet under different guises .

jbtsax

Subscriber
Excellent ensemble. I really enjoyed hearing you play, and I am looking forward to more of your recordings or videos. By the way, with a name like that do you happen to have "Waltzing Matilda" in your repertoire? :)

I don't know if you are familiar with the New Century Saxophone Quartet. Their recordings include folk songs from around the world. Some of their pieces can be heard at You Tube New Century Quartet The sound quality in these videos is lacking but you can get an idea of their music.

In addition some of their excellent arrangements are available for purchase from Alry Publications.

Last edited:
Top Bottom