All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophone Quartet music

AdamBradley

Hey, this might not be the best forum for this but I couldn't see any specifically for music, so my apologies if it needs moving!

I've recently formed a saxophone quartet and we're looking for ideas and suggestions on some music to play. Our first proper outing will be in February, playing in a recital which is mainly classical stuff - as far as we know everything else on the programme is a concerto or some other 'heavy going' bit of classical music - we're hoping to provide a stark contrast to that, so something a bit more relaxed, jazzy, it could even swing.. :D

None of us have played in a sax quartet before so it's uncharted waters for us - does anyone know of any good pieces we should look at, or even some good arrangements of standards would be nice - we found ourselves playing a quartet version of Round Midnight at a sax workshop recently and that was lovely. We've a couple of things arranged by Phillipe Marillia (if anyone knows the name) and they're also great, but neither are suitable for our February show.

Standard is ... reasonably high, we've plenty of time to practise!

I was hoping the good readership here might have some suggestions? I'm sure I've seen a few mentions of folks here that play in their own quartets! Thanks in advance! ;)

Adam

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
there's a lot of stuff on youtube, if you haven't been there already. Should give you plenty of ideas. Saxophone quartet and sax quartet bring up different results, so do both.

c9off

stock suggestion for quartet arrangments is: http://4a4quartet.com

Great price & quality, all can be listened to prior to purchase.. there is at least one previous thread that will suggest more...

good luck!

RedBottom

We've used one or two of 4-a-4's arrangements, including a well-received one of Peter Gunn, which we performed just last week. We didn't play it brilliantly, but well enough for the audience to like it.

There are also one or two at http://www.music-scores.com/saxophone ensemble/composer.php . Some well-known pieces, but also some nice original ones too. It's also worth looking around the ensemble arrangements for other instruments, especially if you have someone who can transpose the parts for you.

singlereed

Also check out the Astute Music and Saxtet websites as well as Sibeliusmusic.com - with the latter, you have to wade through a lot of tripe and it can be a pain looking through it all but you can hear them and see an extract with the Sibelius Scorch plug-in. Some are even free of charge and there are a few gems.

Moz

Hey, this might not be the best forum for this but I couldn't see any specifically for music, so my apologies if it needs moving!

I've recently formed a saxophone quartet and we're looking for ideas and suggestions on some music to play. Our first proper outing will be in February, playing in a recital which is mainly classical stuff - as far as we know everything else on the programme is a concerto or some other 'heavy going' bit of classical music - we're hoping to provide a stark contrast to that, so something a bit more relaxed, jazzy, it could even swing.. :D

None of us have played in a sax quartet before so it's uncharted waters for us - does anyone know of any good pieces we should look at, or even some good arrangements of standards would be nice - we found ourselves playing a quartet version of Round Midnight at a sax workshop recently and that was lovely. We've a couple of things arranged by Phillipe Marillia (if anyone knows the name) and they're also great, but neither are suitable for our February show.

Standard is ... reasonably high, we've plenty of time to practise!

I was hoping the good readership here might have some suggestions? I'm sure I've seen a few mentions of folks here that play in their own quartets! Thanks in advance! ;)

Adam
I know this a bit late but I've only just noticed your message.

I have written a sax quartet piece in a classical/medieval vein. If you would like to listen to it, it's at http://martin-j.webs.com/classicalcompositions.htm.

The score is lacking some dynamics but the music is complete. If you fancy it, I'll send you the score and parts with the proviso that it's only for occasional non-profit performance.

regards

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom