Saxophones Rolled toneholes on German and Asian saxes

Hassles

The Hohner name has since been sold on for sax branding. I have a Hohner for sale on eBay at the moment, and it's a generic Chinese sax.
The Hohner name was never sold as you've referred but rather Hohner employed Max Keilwerth to design and build saxophones for their company - these were made for about 23 years - consult Bassic-Sax pages

jonf

The Hohner name was never sold as you've referred but rather Hohner employed Max Keilwerth to design and build saxophones for their company - these were made for about 23 years - consult Bassic-Sax pages
I'm well aware of the Hohner saxes referred to on Bassic Sax. However, the name has since also been used, as I mentioned, for Chinese generic saxes.

OP
thomsax

thomsax

Kholert are the most underrated Tenor saxes on the market.. My partner has a Kholert 57.. (SBA Like) .. I bought the Winnenden tenor a few yars ago when it came up for sale on SOTW.. What a bargain!! which was overhauled in the enclosed video.. These are great horns.. regards

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8up9ErgvFk
Great saxes. German saxes (post WWII) are quite common here in Sweden. Seems to be a saxes that music shop on the countryside/smaller towns sold. I saw a Kohlert Winnenden alto (no neck) in good shape at a flea market. The owner asked 200.00 s e k for the Kohlert.

Hassles

I ain't really sure what your comment actually refers to but....I have a couple of Kohlerts, one Czechoslovakian alto and a German tenor - both great. hmm, you're not getting confused with the new Kohlert branded Asian made horns that have NO relationship with the German company that went bankrupt in 1966 are you?

jonf

Chinese "generic" saxes using Hohner ? ? ? ? details please
This is an old thread. It was almost four years ago that I briefly owned a Chinese-made sax bearing the Hohner name. It was a standard bottom of the market sax, not pretending to be a 'proper' Hohner or anything, just using the name. It played OK, it sold OK. I sold it for what it was, a basic student instrument.

Hassles

This 'was' an old thread but still possesses it's relevance. A Chinese made Hohner - now that is interesting. Buffet have their horns made in china these days and as long as the materials and quality control is good so will be the horns.

peterpick

keilwerths had rolled toneholes on all the classic horns and probably still do. Kohler too. Kohlert did. hohner presidents from max keilwerth had them up until the late 60's or early 70's. conns had them. SML and couesnon had them in france, but not always. same with courtois. i think rolled holes are more difficult to make and might indicate a superior construction for that reason - SML's 'standard' models from the gold medal era have straight holes and were cheaper. as for what use they are.... hmmm.... some people say the roled tonehole means LESS of the pad touches the hole's rim and therefore they are LESS likely to stick.... i'm not so sure. they are not sharp and will probably wear pads less quickly. they are difficult to level. i buy more vintage saxes than a sane man would and i look for rolled toneholes, i somehow like them. i do not think they can alter the tone of the sax, i cannot think of any physical reason that would be true. the best sounding saxes i have, however generally do have them, but i've got a couesnon tenor that sounds great and does not have rolled holes. (sigh).

Top Bottom