support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Returning to Tenor Sax from Alto

freddysilk

After picking up my tenor again and playing for 2 weeks, I'm starting to squeak on Middle F (F2) through G#. I am using the Vintage Otto Link Rubber which just came out recently and I'm comfortable playing it with a 7 opening and a Vandoren ZZ #2 reed.

If I loosen my embouchure, I squeak and if I play it firm - same results.

What am I doing wrong? My horn is practically new with no leaks.

Hi

It's a common issue especially the G/G# squawk, even my teacher who is a top jazz musician says she very occasionally has suffered it. Just persevere. You need more breath support with tenor than alto so make sure you maintain support. I find I get it occasionally on G, nothing else, especially when I play softly.

Follow Kevgemany advice. Make sure the neckpipe is in right posotion so the octavelifter is not open the octave-neckpipe when i should be closed. But If yo have a new/modern sax this should be no prboblem. Make sure that all other keys that should be closed are sealing properly. Last you can also check the lower octave pipe and make sure that the key is open at least double as much as the diameter of the octave tonehole. But this is more resulting in a "fuzzy" tone.