Tinncupp

Instruments and Genres
Tenor Sax.
Level
  1. Intermediate
Can you travel to lessons
Locally only (within 5 miles)
Hey Everyone,

As the title says, I'm looking for an instructor to help me get back into playing sax. Here's some short background: I started playing Alto when I was in the 4th grade and played consistently through high school, taking lessons all the way through as well. I was considered a very advanced player at the time. It's been about 25 years and I just purchased a Yamaha YTS-63III tenor and will focus on tenor (vs. alto). My ability to read music is strong, obviously my embouchure is not great given the time, and overall, I've been able to download some solo's and play some of them ok. I'd like to try to get back to where I was (or beyond) and am looking for an instructor to help and/or recommendations on some method books. I'm located in Southern NJ. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Welcome. Most membership here is European, FWIW, so I dunno if anyone can come up with specific suggestions for you.

I will start with some general ones:

~ Post an ad on Craigslist.

~ If your municipality is 'open' (i.e. places with community bulletin boards are in biz again.....coffee houses, etc...) post something on one of those

~ If music shops within a reasonable vicinity of you are open, inquire there....

~ If there are any colleges in your vicinity which have music departments (and someone is manning the phones), try giving them a call as well.

~ If you know any other musicians in town, or have friends who do ~ ask them if they know of any sax teachers

This would be relatively easy if things were 'normal'...but given the global health situation, of course, it isn't the case currently.

Skype or online lessons are also an option if things are closed down around you.

Last thing to say - you know, if you were fairly accomplished 25 years ago....you can also just try to dig up music that you like and used to play, and start woodshedding yourself. An intermediate-at-one-time player who has laid down the axe for a couple of decades can usually 're-learn' by themselves, many a time.

This may be a bit harder given you decided to start back on a Sop, as opposed to Tenor which used to be your 'natural' instrument.

Maybe start back on Tenor for a few months, then when you feel you have your fundamentals back...switch to the Sop ???

Tinncupp

Welcome. Most membership here is European, FWIW, so I dunno if anyone can come up with specific suggestions for you.

I will start with some general ones:

~ Post an ad on Craigslist.

~ If your municipality is 'open' (i.e. places with community bulletin boards are in biz again.....coffee houses, etc...) post something on one of those

~ If music shops within a reasonable vicinity of you are open, inquire there....

~ If there are any colleges in your vicinity which have music departments (and someone is manning the phones), try giving them a call as well.

~ If you know any other musicians in town, or have friends who do ~ ask them if they know of any sax teachers

This would be relatively easy if things were 'normal'...but given the global health situation, of course, it isn't the case currently.

Skype or online lessons are also an option if things are closed down around you.

Last thing to say - you know, if you were fairly accomplished 25 years ago....you can also just try to dig up music that you like and used to play, and start woodshedding yourself. An intermediate-at-one-time player who has laid down the axe for a couple of decades can usually 're-learn' by themselves, many a time.

This may be a bit harder given you decided to start back on a Sop, as opposed to Tenor which used to be your 'natural' instrument.

Maybe start back on Tenor for a few months, then when you feel you have your fundamentals back...switch to the Sop ???
@JayeNM - Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I've been pursuing a few of those with not much luck which is why I posted here as well, but forgot this is a mostly European membership so thanks for that reminder :) I may very well end up dusting off some old music and working back that way as you suggested. Thanks again for the reply!

Bryan

CliveMA

Online lessons with Artistworks may suit. They have lessons for all levels and your regularly submitted videos will be personally reviewed by world class Eric Marienthal. @randulo has authored threads here with his personal feedback.

CliveMA

If you are self-directed, BetterSax offers online courses to learn improvisation and playing by ear. There are other online options, too including advanced Jazz courses, for example, those offered by ChadLB (YouTube).

CliveMA

If you are technology-literate, there are software options that allow you to self-teach arguably better than any human teacher. These software options, for example, allow you to analyse your own recordings for rhythm and pitch and directly compare your proficiency with a professional's play on any piece.

randulo

Positivity-obsessed
Subscriber
Many excellent suggestions! I was about to recommend looking at things like this:
until I saw there wasn't a single saxophone teacher!

or this:
where there are two, and one is clarinet.

But the idea is, there are probably lists out there, possibly run by schools or stores.

Maybe this one:

I searched for saxophone lessons New Jersey.

JRG

Bryan, if you're interested in doing a Skype/FaceTime meet, let me know. I've been teaching privately for 30 yrs now and via Skype/FT for about 6 months...lol. Not gonna lie, I HATE doing lessons that way, but as you know, the current conditions have forced me to teach mostly online with a couple of students coming to my house.
Anyhoo, if you'd like to just meet and discuss things and see what I could suggest to help you out, I'd certainly be willing to do that and if you'd like to pursue it further, we then could discuss cost, etc.
If you've already found someone, that's great but I'm more than happy to try and help you out if you're still looking!

Edit - I'm in the U.S (midwest) btw...

John

Tinncupp

Bryan, if you're interested in doing a Skype/FaceTime meet, let me know. I've been teaching privately for 30 yrs now and via Skype/FT for about 6 months...lol. Not gonna lie, I HATE doing lessons that way, but as you know, the current conditions have forced me to teach mostly online with a couple of students coming to my house.
Anyhoo, if you'd like to just meet and discuss things and see what I could suggest to help you out, I'd certainly be willing to do that and if you'd like to pursue it further, we then could discuss cost, etc.
If you've already found someone, that's great but I'm more than happy to try and help you out if you're still looking!

Edit - I'm in the U.S (midwest) btw...

John
John - thanks for reaching out. Actually, after seeing the first few replies about most people being European, I stopped looking. Additionally, I got a bit busy with work, etc. The bottom line is that I have not found an instructor and am now ready to begin lessons so I'd love to set up a call or skype/zoom chat and talk to you about your approach to teaching, give you some more background on me and see if it makes sense to work together. LMK if that works for you and when a good time to have a short chat would be.

JRG

Bryan, I've sent you a private message/"started a conversation".......whatever it's called. ;-)

Top Bottom