support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Reeds for Soprano?

Di in France

Locality
France
Hi all,
I'm starting to play soprano and will be trying the Bari Esprit and Yamaha 5C mouthpieces. I wondered if anyone could give me recommendations of which reeds and strengths would complement these mouthpieces.
I don't know if it helps to give you an idea of my sound preferences, but my setup on alto is Super session E with hemke 2.5 reeds, and on tenor a Saxscape 'fat cat' 102' with Gonzales RC 2.5 reeds.

Thanks, Di

I'd get some Rico 2.5s play them for a bit and work out what you don't like about them (if anything) and work from there.

On sop I switched to Marca jazz from Rico rjs. I've tried a few others as well and I'll not use the spares. Pm me your address and I'll put an assortment in the post for you to try, just make a small donation to the forum to cover it.

I tried quite a few diff reeds when looking for a new mouthpiece but settled back with RJS.

Jx

I had a pleasant surprise when Davey posted a clip using alto reeds on the new sop which arrived before the reeds did. I had a go and they work fine. Handy to know if you run out. I use a vandoren classic blue 1.5 with the Bari esprit. You can get them in packs of three on amazon.

It was suggested to me by Scott in sax.co.uk to try tenor reeds on alto when I bought the Cannonball. He said I'd need a full strength higher than the altos. I thought he'd gone mad. Still, he gave me some freebies so it seemed rude not to try. I now use Vandoren red Java tenor 3.5s on both altos and mpcs. Awesome!

I tried it briefly on sop but I only had my normal reeds, so not firm enough if the same rules apply. Not so good. I have ordered a couple of harder ones as well as a selection of sops to try.

I actually prefer them. Easier for me to do all overtones and keep things consistent. I googled it after it was suggested and it would seem it's reasonably common. I thought perhaps it was just as I'm a beginner, but it seems not.

On a Bari Esprit I used RJS 2H. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom