support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces PPT Mouthpieces

Any news on PPTs for alto, soprano or bari ?

Well, the PPT on tenor came about due to me looking for something I needed, ie a sort of hybrid of various mouthpieces: RPC, Vandoren, Berg Larsen. I like bits about each so set about experimenting to get the mouthpiece that was perfect for me, using what I liked of each as a kind of inspiration rather than directly copying.

e.g. the baffle is bullet shaped but a wider and softer bullet than the Berg Larsen.

I had no intention at the time of marketing it.

re: other sizes: I am quite happy with my soprano and baritone mouthpieces, so those are unlikely contenders for PPTising.

But I do have an idea for an alto which would be a kind of Selmer Soloist/Meyer/Vandoren hybrid.

Well, the PPT on tenor came about due to me looking for something I needed, ie a sort of hybrid of various mouthpieces: RPC, Vandoren, Berg Larsen. I like bits about each so set about experimenting to get the mouthpiece that was perfect for me, using what I liked of each as a kind of inspiration rather than directly copying.

e.g. the baffle is bullet shaped but a wider and softer bullet than the Berg Larsen.

I had no intention at the time of marketing it.

re: other sizes: I am quite happy with my soprano and baritone mouthpieces, so those are unlikely contenders for PPTising.

But I do have an idea for an alto which would be a kind of Selmer Soloist/Meyer/Vandoren hybrid.

It's interesting that different mouthpiece designs seem to work best on the different sax sizes. Do you think it is because we are conditioned to hearing different sound characteristics for the different horns and have different ideal sounds on each horn ?

I once played a Johnny Hodges tape at half speed and it sounded nice - a bit like Harry Carney. And I always reckoned that Paul Desmond would sound a bit like Stan Getz if you slowed down the tape enough.

I don't know how mouthpiece makers get a family (SATB) of mouthpieces that are comparable if it's much more complicated than just scaling all the design features up or down. Maybe it's lots of trial and error.

I would really like an alto version of the tenor PPT (i.e. high initial baffle, softened bullet chamber, rounded side walls) but maybe it just wouldn't sound as great as the tenor. I wonder what existing mouthpiece would get close - maybe a Vandoren Jumbo Java or maybe it would need a lot of work.

Not too far away from you Pete, and Christmas is coming up, so maybe a trip to try out a 9* PPT is called for. Or I could combine it with the Haynes Manual launch party for Steve Howard's new book.

Rhys

I would really like an alto version of the tenor PPT (i.e. high initial baffle, softened bullet chamber, rounded side walls) but maybe it just wouldn't sound as great as the tenor. I wonder what existing mouthpiece would get close - maybe a Vandoren Jumbo Java or maybe it would need a lot of work.

No, it just won't work for alto to start with a Jumbo Java as inspiration. With the tenor i kind of works as an initial point of reference.

On alto, I'm starting with a Selmer Soloist, and take it from there. Add a relatively smaller baffle than the PPT tenor, probably enlarge the chamber, experiment with a Meyer type facing and see what happens. basically I'm after a Meyer lead alto sound, but with a bit of warmth and slight R&B "bark".

So kind of Phil Woods meets Lou Donaldson, but not forgetting Bird, Louis Jordan, Ornette and Earl Bostic. (Sanborn??? hmmm...)

If I can do that I am a genius.

But i'm not and I won't but I do hope to get as close as humanly possible, and I don't mind admitting I would not be able to get close to that without Ed's enormous expertise, so we'll just have to wait and see...

My favourite alto piece for straightahead stuff is a Brilhart Tonalin (white plastic). Ed Pillinger put a new facing on it for me that seemed to give it some more power but retained the basic sound.

The Brilhart is a different design internally compared with your starting points (arched throat and sloping sidewalls) but still a great piece. And a lot of top players played them. Maceo Parker still does.

Can you add some Maceo into the mix ?

Rhys

Well, I just ordered a 7*(to go with my just-ordered M2 :w00t: )....haven't a clue what reeds I'll need, but Chris98 is kindly sending me some to try.

(I hope no-one is expecting Chrissie pressies this year ....I shall be both broke & busy blowing!!)

Well, I just ordered a 7*(to go with my just-ordered M2 :w00t: )....haven't a clue what reeds I'll need, but Chris98 is kindly sending me some to try.

(I hope no-one is expecting Chrissie pressies this year ....I shall be both broke & busy blowing!!)

Roger,

For a second there I though you'd got it all sewn up but then I remembered... what you going to do ligature wise? >:)

... and I presume living in Spain you already have a pair of sunglasses to cope with the glare of that silver beauty?

I think you are in for a lot of fun with your new toy,

Best wishes,

Chris

Oh Pete - I would be so interested in that alto piece! Very excited at the prospect - they tell me patience is a virtue :)

Roger,

For a second there I though you'd got it all sewn up but then I remembered... what you going to do ligature wise? >:)

... and I presume living in Spain you already have a pair of sunglasses to cope with the glare of that silver beauty?

I think you are in for a lot of fun with your new toy,

Best wishes,

Chris
Just got a Rovner off ebay , an EDII ...have long been an Eddie Daniels fan, especially of his clarinet playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I sent the PPT on to its next lucky recipient, I took it along to big band rehearsal and our lead tenor blew it all night.

He's a really good player, but his solos are often swamped by the rest of the band. As soon as he'd taken his first solo, the MD complimented him on the sound and asked what was different. There might be another PPT sale in time for Christmas.

Rhys

As soon as he'd taken his first solo, the MD complimented him on the sound and asked what was different. There might be another PPT sale in time for Christmas.

Great! But sadly they are taking a few weeks lead time so unlikely any current orders will be filled before Christmas.

Hopefully my new plan of just making one type (onyxite) will allow me to keep some in stock so there should be less of a waiting list in future.

I finally had time to record my first tune with my new PPT. I just learned the tune yesterday so I probably shouldn't be recording it yet because it's fast (160bpm) and I don't quite have the tonguing/fingering coordinated as well as I will but I don't know when I'll get a chance to record again. Also it's a Christmas ditty so I wanted to get it up on my Soundclick early so here it is> Run, Run, Rudolph I think the PPT is the greatest even though I may not have done it justice here ;} (I also used an old reed that squealed a bit)

Any news on PPTs for alto, soprano or bari ?

Contrary to my previous answer, I do have plans for a baritone. I have a prototype already!

Apart from what it's made from, is there a difference between the onyxite and blue mouhpiece?

Not that I can hear. Ed Pillinger says he can hear a difference, but I believe there may be a difference between two identical reeds, or taking the reed off and putting it on again in a very slightly different position or ligature position/tension. Also they are hand finished, no two identical looking PPTs would sound exactly the same if you had equipment or ears to measure such subtle differences.

Contrary to my previous answer, I do have plans for a baritone. I have a prototype already!

I'm excited - is it a similar internal design to the tenor PPT and when can we expect to see the production model hit the market ?

Rhys

PS Last week I bought an alto Vandoren Jumbo Java with a vague idea of carving away at it until it looks like a smaller PPT inside. The Jumbo is a pretty good mouthpiece as it stands, so I may leave well alone.

I'm excited - is it a similar internal design to the tenor PPT and when can we expect to see the production model hit the market ?

No it's very different, more like a Slant Sig Otto Link, bit with a very teeny bit more bite and sparkle IMO.

PS Last week I bought an alto Vandoren Jumbo Java with a vague idea of carving away at it until it looks like a smaller PPT inside. The Jumbo is a pretty good mouthpiece as it stands, so I may leave well alone.

I think the Jumbo Java is great for a very loud extremely bright mouthpiece, but although I took some inspiration from a tenor JJ for the tenor PPT, I wouldn't think it would for the alto.

Jumbo

I have been on the look out for a Alto Jumbo Java for a while now
But cos Im on Benifit 100+ is a bit too much for me.so Im keeping my eyes open on Ebay. But would you say that they are worth getting Pet? I did try one but it was only for a couple of mints it was the A75 so Now you got one pet would you say you were glad you got it.

Last edited by a moderator: