support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces PPT Mouthpiece Review

This will be a short review for the Tenor sax PPT onyxite 7*. If you'd like to hear more just ask and I can post more, I'd just like to get something down as I keep forgetig to do this review.

The PPT is a pretty nice mouthpiece and it plays very well. I got adjusted to it in no time. There was one problem though: it took some sort of knock during shipping and there was a small chip in the middle of the facing. I didn't want to play it because I thought it would be unusable. I thought i had thrown 300 dollars down the drain
A couple weeks ago I found an old legere classic size 2.25 and decided to try it on the PPT. It sounded great. High notes are very easy to hit, subtone is very easy, and the various tone colors you can get are great. One thing I LOVE about the PPT is that open C# does not sound like ducks mating as much as with other mouthpieces, it sounds like a nice sax note.
The only problem is that chip that it shipped with in the facing, but so far it hasn't caused any problems except making me worry the mouthpiece will stop playing one day. Hopefully I can get it to a refacer soon and get the bump evened out and see what that does.
Anyways, the PPT onyxite is exactly what Pete advertises it as: a quality, handmade, versatile mouthpiece; I look forward to using it more often.

There was one problem though: it took some sort of knock during shipping and there was a small chip in the middle of the facing. I didn't want to play it because I thought it would be unusable. I thought i had thrown 300 dollars down the drain

You would not have thrown 300 dollars down the drain because that chip would be covered either under the warrantee or the shipping insurance.

My gut feeling is it couldn't be caused be shipping, unless customs removed it from the packaging and threw it at a quarry tile floor to see if it was made form cocaine.

So it could possibly be something in the material that we missed, and was not audible in playtesting. I'd be grateful for some photos, so I can take a look, and also send to Ed Pillinger to check so you will probably be due a replacement or some compensation.

My baritone piece took a dive onto a concrete floor and it cause some damage that looks like a chip, but is actually just a whitening of the material. I've been playing it for a couple of years though, no problem.

The only problem is that chip that it shipped with in the facing, but so far it hasn't caused any problems except making me worry the mouthpiece will stop playing one day. Hopefully I can get it to a refacer soon and get the bump evened out and see what that does.

So it could possibly be something in the material that we missed, and was not audible in playtesting. I'd be grateful for some photos, so I can take a look, and also send to Ed Pillinger to check so you will probably be due a replacement or some compensation.

I own a couple of early onyxite experiments (alto and clarinet) that show some uneven colour. Are you sure it is not just a discoloration?

ppt chip1.JPGpptchip2.JPGpptchip3.jpg
There's some pictures of the chip
when you rub the mouthpiece you can feel a small indentation and you can easily see it when holding it up to the light
sorry if you cant see it that well im using the camera of an ipod touch

Back
Top Bottom