support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Octave key pad for alto - what do I buy?

singlereed

Locality
Oxted, Surrey.
I recently bought a Mark VI alto which has obviously been overhauled relatively recently and it's playing well, however, the pad on the octave key has split and needs replacing. I really don't want the hassle of taking it in just for that and thought I may as well replace the pad myself - unlike most of the others, it isn't going to need seating and I could get away with hot melt glue for now and then have it stuck in with shellac when I finally put it in for service. What do I buy, though? - I looked at Windcraft and the closest I can see is an 8mm leather pad but that sounds too large. Alternatively, there is a 6mm clarinet leather pad. But, surely, the octave key pad is a common item in its own right - I just haven't been able to find one and wonder how it may be identified?

Hi Singlereed,

All you need to do is measure the inside of the key cup from rim to rim (it's critical that you measure only the INSIDE dimentions where the pad seats), and compare this to the pad charts offered by most suppliers. Order accordingly.

There is no one size fits all even among the same model, vintage, brand of horn. As a result, one always has to measure each key cup for that specific horn to insure a proper fit.

I buy most of mine from Curt at MusicMedic, and Ferree's tools here in the U.S.

Here is a link to the MM chart:

http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/pad-s25-100.html

Is it the octave key on the neck? Let me know the dimensions (diameter and thickness) and maybe I have one. Is not Martin Chanu (Selmer) pad. PM me.

Thomas

Thanks for the reply - I haven't measured it yet, I just wanted to check that it is just a standard pad, not least because (without actually having measured it yet) the smallest size listed still seemed a bit large to me. Thanks, Thomsax, for the offer to look - I'll let you know.

As a temporary fix (or permanent if it works well), you can try using a piece of cork cut to size.

Thanks, it is working as it is but there is a hole in the leather and the felt (or whatever it is underneath) is showing through. It can't be helping matters so I reckon it's best to fix it properly.

Found a variety of clarinet pads in my repair box so I put one of those in for now and discovered to my surprise it is 9mm. Must be losing my sense of perspective in my old age - possibly was thinking 'man inches' rather than 'woman inches'. :shocked:

lol man inches - I like it.

Hot melt glue will be fine but even with hot melt glue I prefer to heat the key cup. If you can wait until Next thursday pop in to John Myalls and I'll fit one Gratis. ( with Shellac) between 0930 and 1300 Hrs.

Thanks Griff for the kind offer - I'm afraid I'll be back at work by next Thursday and won't be able to get across to Croydon during the day. I have stuck one in which seems to be doing the job fine and I can get it checked or done properly next time the horn is in for service. I'll get in touch - I used Myalls years ago for service (before you were there) and gave up as they always used to say it would be weeks before they could do anything and then they'd keep the horn for ages. Once, I checked it in for a re-pad and they sent it to someone else who meanwhile had a nervous breakdown and it was a right faff to get it back. If you are providing a reliable service there, that will be really handy!

I work at John Myalls each thursday and work can be booked in, in advance, for same day action, otherwise its a weeks turnaround as I take the work home to Devon and bring it back the following week. I'm usually there from 0930-1300.

Jonathan Myall Music ...

I work at John Myalls each Thursday and work can be booked in, in advance, for same day action, otherwise its a weeks turnaround as I take the work home to Devon and bring it back the following week. I'm usually there from 0930-1300.

Hey Griff ...

I would like to call in on Thursday 6th [about 10AM] with my Yanagisawa 992 [Alto]

I suspect a leak and would like you to just give it a check over if that's OK? I have phoned Jonathan to book it in, so all being well mate I will see you then ... :cheers:

Watcher Sunray me old mate,

I bet the leek, is pad rot!! Too much aclohol, - clalho,- oclaloh, Oh ye ken wha' I mean!!!

"Happy New Year" to you and yours, and the same to all you sax wallahs!!

Jnho,

Pad Rot ... [lmao m8] ...

Watcher Sunray me old mate,

I bet the leek, is pad rot!! Too much aclohol, - clalho,- oclaloh, Oh ye ken wha' I mean!!!

"Happy New Year" to you and yours, and the same to all you sax wallahs!!

Jnho,

Hey John ...

I have been really worried cos you ain't bin round much over the last few days ...

I thought you may have drowned in a Vat, Keg, Barrel or Pin somewhere ... :)))

Tonight's the last of the old - so I aim to make it a good send off ... :sax: & :cheers:

Finkin of you and yours mate ... have a good one *Sunray waves*