support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Cork on sop octave key

Di in France

Locality
France
Hi
I just bought an elkhart 330 curvy sop and noticed it has a cork instead of a pad on the octave (neck, not body) key.
It leaks. I know this because I held it down with a rubber band and the sound difference and playability is amazing.
I'm nowhere near a good tech and wondered how difficult it would be to replace with a proper leather pad, and if so, where could I get one from. I don't really need a full set, but not sure if I could buy just one pad.

There is a possibility that it is an octave mechanism adjustment rather than a leaking pad issue. The quickest way to find out is to take a piece of clear plastic, cut a small square and place it between the pad and the octave "pip". If it still leaks, it is the octave mechanism adjustment. If it seals nicely, it is the pad.

Thanks guys. I'll try the plastic and see if it is indeed the pad or the adjustment.

Just tried the plastic and it worked, so the pad is leaking. I've measured it at 5mm so if I order a 4.5 a 5 and a 5.5 I should get one that fits. I'm also going to order some sugru and perhaps have a go at making one, it will be interesting.

Just looked on the pad site and my measurements may not be accurate as they only supply from a 6mm.

Just looked on the pad site and my measurements may not be accurate as they only supply from a 6mm.
Any good soul here has a 5mm pad to ship to France? I might get you one next week.

... or you might make another cork pad.
Just use good quality cork: no veins, no polisyliconate...
The search for the right cork can be very enjoyable, im France.

Further to what JBT sax says,unless your sop has a fixed crook the easiest way to check if your pad is leaking or not - and this goes for any sax with a removable crook- is to remove the crook, block off one end with your finger or palm and ensuring you do not touch the crook key blow into the other end, you'll know if it's leaking ir not. If air isn't escaping, then your issue could be the regulation between the crook key (on the crook) and the shift lever (the bit that operates the crook key when the instrument is together. When at rest there should be a slight gap between the two.

Last edited:
I'd say that a cork key of that size shouldn't be difficult to make from a slice of well selected wine cork, as you're in France that might be something you have handy. I tend to keep good corks to use for sax repairs. Being an octave key the adjustment should not be an issue as it can be on regular tone holes.

I also like the Sugru approach. It looks like something I need to experiment! But I'm on an "Amazon ban" these days! :oops: So it'll have to wait...

Yes, I measured the inside of the cup, it was 5mm. I'm going to try a sugru pad as I have some somewhere. I can always give them a ring at wind plus and see what they say.

Just checked and and there was no gap, it was touching, so I bent it a little (eek) and now there is a very small gap. It seems to play better, I'll practice properly tomorrow and see. Will try blowing just through the neck tomorrow also. Thanks to all who have replied.

Do you have a removable crook and if so did you do the leak test I suggested earlier?

Hi Griff, yes, tried it today before practicing and there's no leak. I tried blowing and then sucking and there was good suction. I think it was the lever touching and holding the key off slightly. Hopefully it's going to be ok, I hope so as I'm playing it on a gig tomorrow.......:)

So no need for a Sugru replacement pad apparently...

Just make sure of not rotating the neck from the working position

A regular occurrence even if you handle with great care. Easy to adjust the crook arm. Well....if you have big hands

Just make sure of not rotating the neck from the working position
A well adjusted neck octave key ring should be the same distance from the lever at any reasonable playing position.

Colin the Bear said:
A regular occurrence even if you handle with great care. Easy to adjust the crook arm. Well....if you have big hands

A more common technique is to bend the neck octave ring. My method is to put the thumb between the ring and the tenon and with the other hand carefully press down on the neck octave key cup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom