PPT mouthpieces

New Year's Resolution - Grade 5 Theory

Hi Jeanette

Did you sit the grade 5 music theory paper last month, just wondering how you got on?
We received an email to confirm my son managed to pass with a score of 86% which is a merit. He’s a little disappointed as he was aiming for a distinction.
It will be interesting to see where he dropped marks on the day.
He now wants to work towards grade 6 theory which I believe is a huge leap from grade 5 and can’t be done without the help of a teacher.

Regards

Nasima

Grade 6 is a huge leap!
I taught myself grade 5, scoring 92% but couldn’t work out where to start with grade 6!
After a year of 1 hour a week one-to-one lessons, I passed grade 6 with a merit, but there were times in the lessons that I just wanted to cry & go home.
The teacher was brilliant, but I just couldn’t understand the music theory needed at that level.

Hi Jeanette
I know what you mean about finding time for study when there are soo many more interesting things to do!
Regarding musical terms now that they appear in multiple choice questions format we found it more easier to swot up as you don’t have remember the spellings. On the ABRSM website there are quizzes you can do which we found helped immensely. The quizzes are broken down according to grade.

ABRSM: Music Theory 2018 quiz

Good luck and keep going it seems your nearly there!

Regards
Nasima

Grade 6 is a huge leap!
I taught myself grade 5, scoring 92% but couldn’t work out where to start with grade 6!
After a year of 1 hour a week one-to-one lessons, I passed grade 6 with a merit, but there were times in the lessons that I just wanted to cry & go home.
The teacher was brilliant, but I just couldn’t understand the music theory needed at that level.

Hi Mandy
Well done Mandy that’s an amazing score, 92% at grade 5 you should feel very proud of yourself and a merit at Grade 6 is marvellous.

My son and I ploughed through the grade 5 material ourselves too.

Do you think it is possible to DIY grade 6 too or is that a stretch too far.
We were thinking of a correspondence course that i have seen online. One to one tuition with a teacher would be cost prohibitive at this current time unfortunately.

Regards
Nasima

Hi Jeanette
I know what you mean about finding time for study when there are soo many more interesting things to do!
Regarding musical terms now that they appear in multiple choice questions format we found it more easier to swot up as you don’t have remember the spellings. On the ABRSM website there are quizzes you can do which we found helped immensely. The quizzes are broken down according to grade.

ABRSM: Music Theory 2018 quiz

Good luck and keep going it seems your nearly there!

Regards
Nasima
That's really useful thank you

Jx

Call me a cynic, but I don’t think knowing the meaning of “incalzando” is going to make me a better player

I'm not expecting it to but it will give me more knowledge, I might understand more the music I am reading and playing without having to ask what something means...

It will also, if I pass help my confidence, in fact it already has to a degree!

Widening your knowledge of any subject is never a bad thing, the sitting of the exam is just an aim to keep me studying and if I pass it will at least indicate something has gone in :)

Also if I ever pluck up courage to start sitting the playing exams it means I can go further than grade 5 and I concede again sitting an exam in itself doesn't make me a better player but the work I put in to sit it can only enhance my playing.

Jx

Doing any kind of exam is a no no for me, last time i done a exam was for my 1st Kyu (karate) about 18yrs ago.
Scary as hell, don’t want to do it again.
I applaud people who continually strive to push themselves to the next level.
But it’s not for me, you go girl !

I'm not expecting it to but it will give me more knowledge, I might understand more the music I am reading and playing without having to ask what something means...

It will also, if I pass help my confidence, in fact it already has to a degree!

Widening your knowledge of any subject is never a bad thing, the sitting of the exam is just an aim to keep me studying and if I pass it will at least indicate something has gone in :)

Also if I ever pluck up courage to start sitting the playing exams it means I can go further than grade 5 and I concede again sitting an exam in itself doesn't make me a better player but the work I put in to sit it can only enhance my playing.

Jx

If you take Trinity practical exams, you don’t need grade 5 theory.
You can go all the way to grade 8 practical without any theory exams.

Feel like I'm on the home straight now
This week's holiday it was my aim to finish my grade 5 exercise book. Nearly there but struggling with identifying the interval between the highest and lowest note in the top line see below

15360561621418970120824826256196.jpg

My answer isn't the same as the book, what do you think it is.

Many thanks in advance

Jx

Feel like I'm on the home straight now
This week's holiday it was my aim to finish my grade 5 exercise book. Nearly there but struggling with identifying the interval between the highest and lowest note in the top line see below

View attachment 11337

My answer isn't the same as the book, what do you think it is.

Many thanks in advance

Jx

You also need to circle the second G# in the bass line in bar 3 - it's not just the notes with accidentals, it can also be later notes in the same bar, so they have included one to catch you out.

I'm not sure what you mean by the interval between the highest and lowest notes in the top line.
By "top line", do you mean just the treble clef stave or the top (and in this case only) system?
And are they referring to a particular place in the line, or just the overall highest and lowest notes in the whole line?

If it is the latter case, I would say that the lowest note in the whole top stave is a C# and the highest note is an E natural, so the interval is an octave plus a minor third (is this called a minor tenth? I don't know.)

If they are referring to the notes at (i), (ii) and (iii) then they are an octave, a fourth and a major third.

Thanks Nigel
Exact question was

What is the interval between the highest note and the lowest note in the melody ( top line of the music)

My answer was the same as yours. Compound minor 3rd but book has compound maj 2nd.

Jx

Odd, as looking at my notes (sic!) I got it wrong and my teacher has corrected it to Compound Maj 2nd but I'm not sure that's right either. It looks like she read it as D-E(+oct) when it should be C# - E - working from the lowest up. In that case I think should be a compound minor 3rd (or minor 10th). I'm open to correction!

This is a 4-part motet written in choir form. (The text says this at the top)
So the "melody" here is just the soprano part - i.e. the top notes in the top stave. It doesn't include the alto part.
This means that the lowest note is the D at the end, not the C# in the alto part, and the highest is E.

Odd, as looking at my notes (sic!) I got it wrong and my teacher has corrected it to Compound Maj 2nd but I'm not sure that's right either. It looks like she read it as D-E(+oct) when it should be C# - E - working from the lowest up. In that case I think should be a compound minor 3rd (or minor 10th). I'm open to correction!
Looks like you me and Nigel all agree :)

Jx

This is a 4-part motet written in choir form. (The text says this at the top)
So the "melody" here is just the soprano part - i.e. the top notes in the top stave. It doesn't include the alto part.
This means that the lowest note is the D at the end, not the C# in the alto part, and the highest is E.
Excellent spot :clapping::thanks3:

Ah yes, I see. J, if you haven't quite got it yet, there are two parts in the treble clef and the melody line is the top one, which finishes on tonic D. Thus compound maj 2nd (maj 9th) is correct. No doubt my teacher pointed that out that at the time (she was unerringly accurate!) but I have forgotten - it's some years back! Still I should have looked more carefully. Thanks Nigel.

Ah yes, I see. J, if you haven't quite got it yet, there are two parts in the treble clef and the melody line is the top one, which finishes on tonic D. Thus compound maj 2nd (maj 9th) is correct. No doubt my teacher pointed that out that at the time (she was unerringly accurate!) but I have forgotten - it's some years back! Still I should have looked more carefully. Thanks Nigel.
I got it but thank you. Lesson no1 read the question!
Thanks both

Jx

It’s a major 9th or a compound major 2nd, from D in the last bar to E , the first note if bar 3.
The highest and lowest notes in the Soprano part (the sticks pointing upwards on the treble clef line)

Back
Top Bottom