support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New Orleans Advice

Locality
Alaska, Wisconsin, New Jersey
Hey folks,

I'm interested in connecting with people located in New Orleans, La., USA. I've been toying with the idea of heading there for some time now and think I'm ready to check it out. I'd love to get into the music scene there but it's slightly daunting since I know nothing about the area, the clubs, or street performing, etc...

I assume that top notch sax players are lurking in every shadow there and the competition must be overwhelming. I've gigged a bit here in the USA, played noteworthy clubs from New York to San Diego, but I have never been to NOLA and have no connections in NOLA.

Any players down in NOLA have advice on clubs to visit? Jam sessions to seek out? What to expect? I know the jazz scene is off the hook there, but how about blues? How about funk? How about people playing original compositions? If anyone has a tidbit of advice on the NOLA scene, I'm all ears!

Thanks,
-Alex

Just don't connect with "Mr Saxophone world headquarters" on your visit there otherwise you stand good chance of getting burnt! apart from that...have fun!

For a peek at what jazz was like over a century ago, attending a performance at Preservation Hall is a must when visiting NOLA. Be prepared to be hot, crowded, and uncomfortable just like the audiences were in the days before air conditioning. Unfortunately there is very little in the way of traditional jazz, but if you are into loud raunchy bar bands you won't be disappointed.

The best place I found was the Spotted Cat on Frenchmen St. Almost opposite was some great food.

For a peek at what jazz was like over a century ago, attending a performance at Preservation Hall is a must when visiting NOLA. Be prepared to be hot, crowded, and uncomfortable just like the audiences were in the days before air conditioning. Unfortunately there is very little in the way of traditional jazz, but if you are into loud raunchy bar bands you won't be disappointed.

Hey! My dad was one of those loud raunchy bar bands. Though the best place for jazz in New Orleans is still the street. It was before Katrina anyway. Not sure what its like since the attempts to "white wash" the city, probably a lot more tourist friendly and a lot less enjoyable.

I've never been, but the piano player from Johnny and the Zephyrs went some years ago. Now he's a mean rag time/rock 'n' roller/honky tonk player. Apparently he went into a bar where a pianist was just finishing his set. After a conversation with the guy he was invited to "put a pot" on the piano (for your tips) and play! Well he played some great tunes for over an hour, his "pot" was overflowing and eventualy the pianist asked him to leave as he was "showing him up!"
Have fun where ever you go!

I like the sound of putting a pot out for some dough. I'm sure I'll be playing the street when I get there with my case opened....and having lots of fun in the process.

There is a trumpeters by the name of Lionel Ferbos who still performs at the Palm Court Jazz Cafe. He is 101 years old and started playing in the early 1930's!

Back
Top Bottom